Graduation

Adrien fixed his bow tie in the mirror. He was dressed up in a suit, ready for graduation. Even more exciting, he wouldn't be returning to Paris, at least not yet.

Chloe had agreed to let him crash for a couple weeks at her London flat until he could get on his feet. He'd accepted NYU's offer and had already been looking at classes for the fall semester.

He had been wise to start a second bank account. Nathalie was helping him file an appeal to get the rest of his money from his father. For once, Adrien didn't care about burning bridges. This was his life. He was ready move forward.

Glancing at the clock on his bedside table, Adrien realized he needed to get downstairs or he would be late. Luka had left almost fifteen minutes ago.

He took one last glance in the mirror before leaving.
***
Marinette stood in front of the full length mirror in her dorm. She observed her white and pink floral dress that fell at her knees, strappy heels, and the graduation gown slung over her arm.

Homesickness tugged at her heart. Her dad had been the reason she'd come to Clifton. If he hadn't encouraged her to submit her fashion designs and helped her fill out scholarship paperwork, she would have never made it here, let alone graduated.

Marinette was glad she would soon be surrounded by all the friends who had supported her the past two years, but she couldn't help but feel a stab of regret that neither of her parents would be there.

Mom couldn't afford to leave the store, not even for graduation.

Chloe stepped up next to her, dressed in a blue ruffled dress that stopped just below her shins. Her wavy blonde hair loosely curled over her shoulders and down her back. Marinette had taken out her ordinary pigtails and her hair hung straight and voluminous, stopping just at her shoulders.

"You look lovely," Chloe said. "Do you want me to help you with your cap and gown?" She was already wearing hers but hadn't zipped up the gown yet.

Marinette shook her head. "I think I want to wait until we get downstairs to put it on." She willed her churning stomach to stop as Chloe slipped her arm through hers.

They walked downstairs to take pictures before lining up for the ceremony. Alya and Nino were already waiting at the foot of the stairs. Luka and Lila soon joined them, with Adrien trailing behind, although he did greet Nino and they took a selfie together.

The girls took turns taking photos with one another as did the boys.

After a few minutes, Marinette's stomach churned a little bit more. She was glad her friends were happy but their joy was becoming to overwhelming, especially when she wasn't sure how to balance her happiness and grief.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw someone head her way. Marinette looked up, expecting to see Luka, but he was still at Chloe's side, posing as she staged photos of them kissing.

It was Adrien who had slipped away from the group.

"You doing okay, Marinette?"

"Oh great," she managed to say. "It was just feeling a little bit crowded." This was the first time she'd spoken to him since confronting him in the cafeteria weeks ago.

"Chloe mentioned your mom wouldn't be here today."

"She can't afford to leave the bakery." Marinette looked at the floor before snapping her eyes back to Adrien. "Wait, are you and Chloe friends again?"

"More or less." He shrugged. "We're practically family. Kinda trumps friendship."

Marinette nodded absentmindedly. She supposed family still loved each other even if they weren't happy with their actions.

Adrien bit his lip. "How are you doing without your dad?"

Marinette's knees knocked together. She was almost grateful Adrien had acknowledged it. "It's going to be a rough day," she whispered. "What about your? How are you doing without your mom?"

Adrien held her gaze with his mesmerizing green eyes. "It's weird, you know? All those days we were supposed to have together are suddenly gone." He glanced back at the group who still hadn't noticed their disappearance.

"They don't know what it's like." A hard edge crept into Marinette's voice. "Sometimes it's like no one understands."

"I understand," Adrien said. "Chloe understands, too. She doesn't talk about it but her mom basically bailed on her and her dad. Took her younger favorite sister to New York and rarely comes back."

Marinette thought back to how Chloe had avoided talking about her mom during Christmas break.

"I hadn't thought about that."

"I'm here for you—if you'll let me," he said in a rush. "I know I made a ton of mistakes. But if you need anything, I'll always be here to help."

Marinette took a deep breath. "Okay." She gave him a crooked smile.

"Let me help you with your gown." Adrien reached for the garment and helped Marinette slip it on.

She zipped it up and set her cap on her head.

"How do I look?" she teased.

"Beautiful."

Marinette held her breath. They weren't going to do this again, we're they? Equal parts of her longed for and dreaded it.

Sending her hesitation, Adrien offered Marinette his arm. "Let's get back to the group."

As they approached, Marinette was surprised to see Kagami had joined them and was hugging Chloe.

Chloe pulled away and turned to them with a smile on her face. "Kagami has exciting news!"

"I'm taking a gap year." Kagami looked at them nervously.

"That's great!" Marinette said. "I'm so happy for you."

Alya tugged in her arm. "I wondered where you went."

"I just needed a minute," Marinette said, hoping Alya hadn't seen her with Adrien. She couldn't take anymore teasing.

"Because of your dad? I'm sorry, Marinette. I should have said something sooner. I know how hard this day is without your parents. I also know how proud they must be of you."

Marinette threw her arms around Alya and pulled her into a tight hug. "You have no idea how thankful I am for you," she said.

The girls broke apart as a teacher instructed everyone to line up.

"See you soon," Marinette said, and then she found her place in line.

***

Late that night, long after curfew, Alya and Nino snuck up to the roof.

Alya stretched out on the blanket they'd brought with them, squinting through the city lights to glimpse the stars above.

Nino was at her side, his hand curled in hers. "Can you believe it?"

"No, it hasn't set in yet."

"Me either. Although, I'm just going to be working at my uncle's music store and DJing in my free time." Nino had opted not to go to college.

Alya grinned at him. "You're not getting rid of me! I'm set to start at University of Paris in the fall."

"Are you going to continue interning at the paper?"

"Only in the summer. I want to join the school paper."

"You'll be great at that." Nino rolled over to look at her.

Alya turned on her side. She leaned over and kissed him lightly. "I don't care what I do as long as I'm with you."

Woah I can't believe this fanfic is basically done. Just one more chapter!

Thanks for sticking around with this fanfic. I've had so much fun writing it! I hope you enjoy the ending just as much as I do.

(Also, don't forget I'm working on an original sci-fi romance called Beyond Time! Three chapters are up now)