Moving Forward

Adrien sat at his desk, ignoring the acceptance letter and brochure for Paris School of Business. Nathalie, his father's assistant, had applied under his dad's direction without even consulting him. Now that high school was over, so was Adrien's limited freedom. He was supposed to go to business school and eventually take over his father's brand.

But he was currently stressing over geometry homework and ignoring that his chances of freedom were quickly slipping away. Adrien pushed away the worksheet in frustration. A loose strand of hair fell across his eyes, and he brushed it away. Marinette had always liked his hair longer.

Adrien's heart twisted as he mentally chastised himself. He'd made a mess of things with her, and he hadn't been fair to Kagami either, although he now knew from Chloe that Kagami had framed Marinette for cheating on him so they would break up.

He wasn't sure how he was going to forgive her, although she did seem sorry.

Adrien shuffled through a pile of papers on his desk and withdrew an acceptance letter from NYU. He'd applied without telling anyone. Just to see if he could get in. And he had.

Not to be a model, but to design buildings. Growing up in Paris, he'd always been fascinated with architecture.

But that was just a dream. It was nothing like his reality.

Adrien stood. He walked out of the dorm and up the hall to stretch his legs before finishing his homework. When he returned, Luka was inside.

They didn't speak much, but Luka seemed extra fidgety. Usually the guy was as calm as could be. Today something was wrong. Adrien knew it the moment he opened the door.

"I need to tell you something," Luka said.

"Okay?" Adrien didn't know what Luka could possibly have to say to him. He stepped over to his desk and balled up the acceptance letter.

"Marinette's family bakery might shut down."

"That's terrible," Adrien said. "They make wonderful macarons." He stopped by the trash can.

Luka narrowed his blue eyes. "Is that all you can think about? Food?"

"Of course not." Adrien scowled back. "I love Sabine, and I know how much it would hurt Marinette if her parent's bakery went under."

Adrien couldn't imagine losing something that had once belonged to his mom.

"Marinette has this plan to save the bakery, but she's sacrificing he scholarship to do so. Chloe got me involved but Marinette isn't supposed to know."

Chloe had gone to Luka instead of him? That stung a little, but Adrien supposed he deserved it after everything he'd put her through.

"What are you going to do?"

Luka gave him a wry smile. "That's my business. But if you can do anything to help, I'm sure Chloe would appreciate it."

Adrien nodded.

"What's that?"

Adrien looked down. Luka was pointing to the NYU acceptance letter still grasped in his hand that he'd never thrown away.

He shook his head abruptly. "Nothing."

Luka lunged forward before Adrien could throw it away. He unwrinkled the paper. "I had no idea you'd applied to NYU." Luka looked up in disbelief.

"It doesn't matter. My future is already set in Paris."

Luka eyed him skeptically. "You know, Adrien, it isn't selfish to put yourself first for once. Forget about what your dad wants. What do you want?"

Adrien had asked himself that so many times. He didn't want to stay in Paris the rest of his life. He didn't want to take over his father's company. If anything, he wanted to be free of Gabriel Agreste entirely.

He just didn't know how to say it.

Luka went about his business, and Adrien stayed behind to haze a Zoom call with his Father and Nathalie. They were supposed to be discussing his schedule for leaving right after graduation, which was only two weeks away.

Between his conversation with Luka and the knowledge of Marinette's hardships, Adrien found he couldn't focus.

"Adrien," his father snapped. "Are you listening?"

"Sorry, Father."

Gabriel harrumphed. "You're future is very important, son. When you arrive in Paris you aren't just representing yourself, you're representing me as well."

Adrien had heard that so many times.

Gabriel studied him harshly through the computer screen. "Have you been keeping up with the meal routine Nathalie devised for you?"

"Of course," Adrien lied. In truth, he never kept up with any of his father's meal suggestions when he was in London. He liked being able to eat whatever he wanted.

"We'll have to adjust it when you get back," Gabriel muttered absentmindedly as Nathalie took notes.

Adrien gritted his teeth. "I'm not going to continue modeling."

Gabriel looked at him grimly. "What are you talking about?"

"I don't want to be a model or run your company." Adrien his his shaking hands from the camera. "I'm going to NYU to study architecture."

"And how do you think you're going to get money for that?" Gabriel sneered.

"I've only been putting half of what I earn in the bank account you run," Adrien said. "In case, I ever needed money you don't control. It should be more than enough to play for my first year until I can get control of the rest. Now that I'm eighteen, it shouldn't be a problem."

Gabriel's face turned purplish-red with rage. "How dare you? I knew you mother was wrong to let you have this much freedom."

"Don't you dare talk about my mother!"

"I'm only doing what's best for you." Gabriel pinched his nose as if his son had given him a headache.

"No, you're only doing what's best for you." Adrien knew his ears had turned red because he could feel them growing hot. "I'm not going to Paris School of Business." He clocked the end call button, trying to still his breathing after finally standing up to his dad.

Adrien's phone immediately rang. Nathalie's caller ID appeared on the screen. Adrien bit his lip, debating for a moment whether he should answer. He quickly gave in.

"Don't try to change my mind, Nathalie."

"I wasn't going to," she said. "I wanted to congratulate you."

Adrien felt relief flood his body. "Really?" he whispered.

"Of course. I'm so glad you're going to do what you want."

They talked another few minutes before hanging up. Adrien flipped onto his bed, finally feeling a sense of freedom. Something else rigged at him.

There were a few more people he needed to make things right with before they all left after graduation.

Finally got you another update and it's entirely Adrien based. This book is almost done. I have three chapters left.