08 | M

Mattia

I pushed her bedroom door open to see her packing her suitcase whilst Dom was still lying in bed, watching something on her phone. Confusion struck my every nerve as she still had at least two days before she would be leaving.

Nuelle turned to look over her shoulders, not even a bit surprised to see me standing there. It was as if she was expecting me to come to her after letting me wait for her all night.

"Why are you packing?" I asked.

She did not answer me.

"Hey," I put my hand on her shoulder. She moved as soon as our skin came in contact and looked at me with furrowed eyebrows. I got even more confused and worried after seeing her reaction. "Did I do something wrong?"

She huffed, looking more irritated than before. "I would've told you if you did."

"Then what's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing? I waited for you all night—"

"I fell asleep." She fired at me before I had even finished speaking.

"Okay," I licked my lips, "And this?" I motioned towards the suitcase.

"Trying to win time by packing now." She continued folding her clothes.

I scratched the back of my head and walked out of the room. It was clear that she did not want me around and as much as I wanted to know why, I knew better than to keep pushing it.

I went downstairs to my office to get some work done for the company. I opened my e-mail to read through the many messages that I had received.

I kept rereading the two lines of one of my assistants' e-mail over and over again, but my brain refused to comprehend it. I sighed as I leaned back into the chair with my eyes closed.

A knock at the door made me sit up again, "Come in." I answered.

Emillio poked his head through the door opening before fully entering the room. "Do you have a moment?"

I nodded, knowing that neither him nor Christoph would ask me this question if it was not something serious that needed to be discussed.

"I have everything ready for my trip." He handed me a memory-stick. "The information I got from James yesterday. It's in an encrypted file."

"How is he?"

"Counting his days. He's gotten less talkative over time. But it's still something that we can use to track down Rafael."

"Hmm," I rubbed my chin. "I'll look into it. Let me know when you reach Madrid. The others will be waiting for you."

He nodded and stood up to take his leave.

"Oh, and I haven't told Lorna and the others that you're leaving the country. So, when asked—"

"I'll tell them what I always do."

I tossed the memory-stick into a drawer when he left, because I knew that whatever was on it would upset me. Everything that has to do with Rafael upsets me, his whole existence does.

I managed to take care of a few e-mails and by the fourth one I sent my assistant; she rang up my phone. Seeing her name appear on the screen brought up another issue I was trying my hardest to ignore.

"Celeste," I answered in a stern voice.

"I saw your e-mail." Her smooth, silky voice replied.

I took a deep breath which I exhaled quickly. I knew what she was trying to do, and I was not going to let it slide. "Great. Is there anything else?"