25 | M + E

Mattia

'There is no one available to take your call.'

I called again, for what seemed like the millionth time.

'There is no one available to take your call.'

The cracks on the screen of my phone became more visible each time the device collided with the glass table. My right leg was bouncing up and down, beyond my control. The palm of my hands became moist with sweat, from being pressed together. I picked up my phone again, this time to try Anthony who I also was not able to reach for the few hours that passed after we fled the casino.

"They're fine, Mattia." He said before any sound came from me.

My heart was still racing at the same speed, but when it came to their safety, I felt relieved. "Can you pass the phone to Nuelle? I need to speak with her." 

There was brief moment of silence on the other end.

"Anth! Is she alright? Did she get hurt?" 

"No, no, she's alright."

"I need to talk to her."

"She doesn't want to speak to you." His voice dropped in volume and tone.

I lowered the phone from my ear. My eyes started burning and became more wet. After everything, I wanted- no, I needed to hear her voice. For her to tell me that I was not a killer, because the narrator in my mind was telling me everything to convince me otherwise.

"Are you guys alone?" 

"Yes, we're with Dom. He's asleep."

"Can you," I sighed, "Can you put the phone on speaker?"

Another brief moment of silence interrupted our call. "You're on speaker. I'll give you some privacy."

"Nuelle," I spoke once I heard the door close through the phone. My throat felt like it was closing up. "Baby please, say something. I'm losing my mind." I brought my hand down my face. I was defeated; like I had lost something, but I did not know what. Rafael was gone, I killed him. I had finally done what I had bluffed that I would do, yet somehow it still felt like I lost, and he won. Like he made true on his purpose on turning everyone against me and then taking my life. And in a way, he succeeded.

"Nuelle, please. I need to know that you're okay. Just tell me that you and Dom, and Marissa are alright." I begged.

"Mattia," Anthony replied, "She, uhm. Nuelle gave the phone back to me."

I took my trembling lip between my teeth; the strong taste of copper soon infiltrated my tastebuds. 

"You should lay low. Get rid of this number, it's not safe for you." 

"No," I shook my head like he could see me, "I'm not going into hiding, Anth."

"The cops will be all over this, if— you don't go missing first."

I knew what he meant. The Alliance was bound to find me before the cops would. And I was ready for whomever would be coming first. 

"I need a favor." I gulped, "A last one."

"What do you need me to do?" 

"I need," I wet my lips, contemplating how to explain to Anthony that I needed a DNA test to be done for Nuelle and me. "I need information on Nuelle's mom, Esmeralda Artist. Where she worked when she got pregnant with Nuelle. Whom she was seeing. Who Nuelle's father is or was. Everything."

"You have the feds and organization on your back. Why the hell are you bothering with—"

"Nuelle could biologically be my sister." I blurted out.