1. Winter Is Coming

BEYOND THE WALL

Three men of the Night's Watch traveled north of the Wall to fulfil their duties as rangers. Gared, Will and Royce rode through the snow-covered forest on their horses, dividing to search different areas.

Will saw smoke rising nearby, so he climbed off his horse and slowly walked closer. He crawled along the ground and looked over the small ridge, seeing bodies torn apart, heads impaled on sticks and the corpses were arranged in a pattern - a circle with a line crossing the middle.

Scared by the sight, Will got up and turned to run, he froze seeing a dead girl impaled on a branch of the tree behind him.

Will ran back to his horse and rode back to tell Gared and Royce.

"What do you expect?" Royce asked. "They're savages. One lot steals a goat from another lot, before you know it they're ripping each other to pieces."

"I've never seen wildlings do a thing like this," Will told him. "I've never seen a thing like this, not ever in my life."

"How close did you get?" Royce asked.

"Close as any man would," Will answered.

"We should head back to the Wall," Gared told them.

Royce looked at Gared. "Do the dead frighten you?"

"Our orders were to track the wildlings," Gared stated. "We tracked them. They won't trouble us no more."

"You don't think he'll ask us how they died?" Royce asked. "Get back on your horse."

Gared mumbled in annoyance, walking away.

Will walked closer to Royce. "Whatever did it to them could do it to us. They even killed the children."

"It's a good thing we're not children," Royce said. "You wanna run away south, run away. Of course, they will behead you as a deserter. If I don't catch you first. Get back on your horse. I won't say it again."

Will turned around, walking over to Gared.

Royce led his horse away.

Will led Gared and Royce to the place he saw the dead wildlings. Gared and Royce held their swords out, readily.

They were gone.

Royce looked at Will. "Your dead men seem to have moved camp."

"They were here," Will told them.

Gared looked at Will. "See where they went."

Will walked away.

Royce and Gared walked forward, looking around.

Will walked back towards the horses.

Royce looked up upon hearing an eerie sound echo through the woods.

Gared knelt down to look for tracks of any kind.

Will walked through the woods, holding his sword as he looked around.

Gared found something buried in the snow, he picked it up.

Royce turned, seeing the entrails in Gared's hand. "What is it?"

"It's . . ." Gared trailed off.

A figure rose to its feet behind him, it was a White Walker

Gared gasped.

Royce turned around.

The White Walker raised his sword made of ice, slashing the ranger.

Will stopped walking and turned around, hearing Royce scream in the distance.