3. Lord Snow

KING'S LANDING

Ned, Alerya, Sansa, Arya, Jory and their company rode into the capital of Westeros, the guards were carrying banners of House Stark.

Ned and Jory were riding their horses with the guards.

Septa Mordane, Alerya, Sansa, Arya and Lyanna were riding in a cart.

The citizens watched them enter the city, seeming to be fascinated by the sight of a direwolf.

Everyone stopped.

Ned climbed off his horse.

A man walked towards him. "Welcome, Lord Stark. Grand Maester Pycelle has called a meeting of the Small Council. The honour of your presence is requested."

Ned looked at Septa Mordane. "Get the girls settled in. I'll be back in time for supper." Septa Mordane nodded. Ned looked at Jory. "And Jory, you go with them."

"Yes, my lord," Jory said.

"If you'd like to change into something more appropriate . . ." The man trailed off.

Ned took off his riding gloves.

The man and Ned walked away.

>*~*<

Guards opened the doors as the man led Ned into the Red Keep.

Ned walked inside.

Jaime was sitting on the steps in front of the Iron Throne. "Thank the gods you're here, Stark. About time we had some stern northern leadership."

Jaime stood, walking closer.

"Glad to see you're protecting the throne," Ned said.

"Sturdy old thing," Jaime replied. "How many kings' arses have polished it, I wonder? Um, what's the line? The king shits and the Hand wipes."

"Very handsome armour," Ned commented. "Not a scratch on it."

"I know," Jaime told him. "People have been swinging at me for years, but they always seem to miss."

"You've chosen your opponents wisely then," Ned told him.

"I have a knack for it," Jaime said. They stared at each other for a tense moment. "Must be strange for you, coming into this room. I was standing right here when it happened. He was very brave, your brother. Your father too. They didn't deserve to die like that. Nobody deserves to die like that."

"But you just stood there and watched," Ned replied.

"500 men just stood there and watched," Jaime told him. "All the great knights of the Seven Kingdoms. You think anyone said a word, lifted a finger?" He shook his head. "No, Lord Stark. 500 men and this room was silent as a crypt. Except for the screams, of course and the Mad King laughing. And later, when I watched the Mad King die, I remembered him laughing as your father burned. It felt like justice."

"Is that what you tell yourself at night?" Ned asked. "You're a servant of justice? That you were avenging my father when you shoved your sword in Aerys Targaryen's back?"

"Tell me, if I'd stabbed the Mad King in the belly instead of the back, would you admire me more?" Jaime replied.

"You served him well," Ned told him. "When serving was safe."

Ned walked past Jaime, leaving.

>*~*<