6. A Golden Crown

KING'S LANDING

Ned woke up in his chamber, covered in sweat with his wounded leg dressed with a bandage. His vision slowly cleared, showing Cersei and Robert in the room with him.

"Your pardon, Your Grace," Ned said, struggling to sit up. "I would rise, but . . ."

"Do you know what your wife has done?" Cersei asked.

"She did nothing I did not command," Ned answered.

"Who'd have thought she had it in her?" Robert said.

"By what right dare you lay hands on my blood?" Cersei questioned, angrily.

"I am the King's Hand," Ned told her.

"You were the King's Hand," Cersei corrected. "You shall now be held accountable!"

"Oh, will both of you shut your mouths?" Robert requested. "Catelyn will release Tyrion and you'll make your peace with Jaime."

"He butchered my men," Ned told him.

"Lord Stark was returning drunk from a brothel when his men attacked Jaime," Cersei stated.

"Quiet, woman," Robert told her.

"Jaime has fled the city," Ned said. "Give me leave to bring him back to justice."

Cersei looked at Robert. "I took you for a king."

"Hold your tongue," Robert said.

"He's attacked one of my brothers and abducted the other," Cersei replied. "I should wear the armour and you the gown."

Robert looked at her, furious and struck her across the cheek.

Cersei exhaled, removing her hand from her red cheek. "I shall wear this like a badge of honour."

Robert stepped closer to her. "Wear it in silence or I'll honour you again."

Cersei glanced at Ned before leaving the room.

Robert looked at Ned. "See what she does to me? My loving wife." He poured some wine into a glass, picking it up. "I should not have hit her. That was not . . ." Robert sat at the end of the bed. "That was not kingly."

Robert had a drink.

"If we don't act, there will be a war," Ned told him.

"So tell your wife to return that little shit of an Imp to King's Landing," Robert replied. "She's had her fun, now put an end to it. You hear me? Send a raven and put an end to it."

"And what about Jaime Lannister?" Ned asked. "What about Jaime?"

"I'm half a kingdom in debt to his bloody father," Robert answered. "I don't know what happened between you and those yellow-haired shits. I don't want to know. This is what matters - I can't rule the Kingdoms if the Starks and the Lannisters are at each other's throats, so enough."

Robert had another drink.

"As you command, Your Grace," Ned said. "With your leave, I will return to Winterfell and set matters straight."

Robert shook his head. "Piss on that. Send a raven. I want you to stay. I'm the king. I get what I want." He consumed the rest of the wine from his glass, sighing. "I never loved my brothers. A sad thing for a man to admit, but it's true. You were the brother I chose." He put the empty glass down and stood. "We'll talk when I return from the hunt."

Robert tossed the Hand's pin onto the bed.

"The hunt?" Ned repeated.

"Killing things clears my head," Robert stated. "You'll have to sit on the throne while I'm away." He chuckled. "You'll hate it more than I do."