Change of plans

The bell broke through their conversation, making both of them jump. Will wiped at his eyes again, which were already dry from their moment earlier, glanced towards the door, then up at Ash.

"I guess we have to go to class, huh?"

She nodded halfheartedly. Will looked just as excited as she felt. After what they had been talking about, school seemed so boring and tedious, but Ash grabbed her book bag and Will grabbed his Proton Pack and they headed for the door.

"I really regret wearing this," The boy muttered.

"Well, you'll look epic trick or treating tonight," she reminded him.

He smiled as they entered into the bright, loud hallway.

"I'm really glad I got to know you," she whispered. "It's amazing to have someone to talk to like this."

He nodded, putting out a hand. "Friends?"

"Of course." She shook it energetically.

"Ashie!"

Ash turned to be met with the guilty face of Erin, who grabbed her shoulders and pulled her away from Will and over to a corner of the locker. Ash gave Will an apologetic look and he nodded, waving, then turned and started down the hallway.

"What?" She finally asked her friend, who puffed out a cheek in mock annoyance.

"How did your talk go with zom— with Will go?"

"It went great, what do you want?" Ash looked around them, the kids thinning out as they went into their respective classrooms.

"I can't trick or treat with you!" Erin blurted loudly. A couple kids glanced their way with confusion. She saw Will turn around at the end of the hall.

"What? Why?"

"You know Eric?"

"He's all you ever talk about, so..."

Oh, I know where this is going.

"He asked me out! To go with him tonight! You know how much I want—"

"Okay."

Erin paused, staring at her in what looked like utter shock.

"Okay?"

"Okay, you can go." She put her hands on her hips, trying not to let her face show the hurt she felt. "It's not like me saying anything will change this."

"Awww, Ash, you're the best!"

She sighed as Erin hugged her tightly

"And you were going to go with your new boyfriend anyway, weren't you?" She teased, poking Ash in the shoulder lightly.

"Actually, I—"

"Ash?"

The two of them turned to Will, who flinched slightly at the sudden attention.

"Ah, I just heard what was...going on. You could come with us, if you want?"

"Really?" Ash grinned.

"I'm really sorry, again Ashie," Erin gushed, "but I see the most beautiful looking thing over there, I wanna see if he'll hang out with me today before we go out tonight!" And with that she dashed off.

"We have English next, right?" Ash asked, deciding to ignore her friend.

"Yeah, we better hurry."

They started off towards the classroom together with quick steps to get there in time. Will's pack bumped against his back with every step.

The school bell rang through the halls just as they crossed through the door, Will panting slightly.

As they settled down in their seats Ash was painfully aware of the five sets of eyes on her, one of which being the teacher whose class she'd almost been late to.

Finally she spoke, saying, "You're just barely safe, miss Park."

She sighed into her hands, her mind tuning her voice out as she started on the lesson, focusing on what was to come. Her friendship with Will was still fresh, still fragile, so if his friends didn't like her that would be the end. This was it. The real test to win them over. Well, back over to her side.

For the first time in a year, she was excited about going out at night.