Why

They searched in silence for a few minutes, opening classroom doors and looking in any open lockers, then Will said, "You don't have to stay with me, you know."

"What?" Ash paused trying to jam closed a rusty locker to stare at him.

"I know you think I'm all weak and helpless, and that's why you're following me everywhere I go. But doing that just makes me feel even more weak and helpless. Besides, I know being around me hurts you."

"Well..." she let go of the door, turning to lean against it. "I wouldn't say weak and helpless, but more like in danger. You're my friend. I don't want you to get hurt, even if it means sacrificing myself."

"Why, though?"

"Huh?"

Will frowned deeply. "Why do you care so much? We've only known each other for a few days, and you're already ready to sacrifice yourself for me? Why?"

Because I have to. Because you need me to be strong and if I can't be strong for you then how can I let anyone rely on me?

"Maybe that was a bit far." She laughed awkwardly. "I think, if you're looking for what's in it for me, it'd be the selfish reason that you can understand me. Apart from my mom and the doctors in the lab, no one knows except for you. The doctors only want to use my information. And I'm pretty sure my mom wished I never told her in the first place. So yeah, maybe a little bit of it is that I want you to stay safe because I want someone who can not just sympathize with me, but really understand what I've gone through."

Will blinked in surprise and she felt her cheeks flush. "Sorry, I kinda ranted there, huh?"

"N-no! Not at all, you're fine." He thought for a moment, then murmured, "I like having someone who can understand me too."

Oh no, is this what I think it is?

"W-we should keep searching." She muttered, slamming the locker door a little too hard. Will flinched, then nodded.