Aftermath

"Woah, what the hell was that!?"

Max's voice broke through the fog in her mind and she wiped at her mouth, feeling tears gather in her eyes. Tears of self-loathing.

I really am pathetic. What the hell am I even doing? It's not here right now. I'm fine. So why am I shaking like this? I'm supposed to ask if he's okay. I'm supposed to smile and tell him it'll be okay? How can I be a support if I'm not okay?

What the hell is wrong with me?

"Holy shit!" Dustin yelled, seeing Will still standing, trembling, next to the stairs.

"I'd he okay?" Lucas gasped.

"I don't know," Mike tried. "I don't know what..."

He glanced back towards Ash, the worry on his face doubling.

"Sorry about that," she murmured, putting on her "everything is fine and great" that she had been using a lot lately. "I don't think dinner agreed with me... ahaha."

"Ash, you don't look so good," Lucas murmured while Dustin joined Mike at Will's side. "You sure you're okay?"

Please don't ask me that.

"I'm fine." She walked over to Will with a worried frown. "More importantly, was that..." she stopped herself from saying "the Upside Down" when she realized Max was still standing on the last step, staring at them like they'd all lost their minds.

"I said what the hell was that?" She snapped. "Is Will okay? Are you okay?" she directed at Ash.

"I said I'm fine." Ash snapped back, a little too aggressively.

"Listen, Will, I'm gonna get you home, okay?" Mike put an arm around his shoulder, supporting him as he brought him to the stairs. "Just hold on."

Max moved out of the way, still staring at them.

"Woah, take it easy." Dustin reached for Will, who was practically being dragged up the stars but Mike pulled him away. " I've got him," he said aggressively.

"Mike."

"Keep trick or treating. I'm bored anyway."
He took another step up, then turned to Ash. "You coming or what?"

"Huh? Me?"

He jerked his head up the stairs ahead of them. "You're involved in this. You're coming with us."

"O-okay, sure?"

She pushed past the others and started up after them, handing her bag to Dustin on the way through.

"You can have my nougat, Dustin!" She called as she ascended the stairs after Mike and Will.

As they started into the street he called, "thank you!"