Caught

They continued their search throughout the school, skipping hallways without lockers or doors and thoroughly checking classrooms.

There was no sign of Dart. Anywhere.

Ash was almost ready to say they should give up and call it a day, maybe search around her house, when they reached the bathroom by Mr. Salerno's room. Will opened the door nervously and Ash followed him in, flicking on the light. It took a few seconds to work, the shadows flickering on and off on the walls creepily.

Crrrk shrkk

"It's in here," Ash whispered, almost not wanting to break the fragile silence building around them. Will nodded, reaching to pull out his walkie. They pushed open the bathroom doors until Will whispered, "Ash. I found him."
She walked over, careful to keep her footsteps light so as to not disturb the creature. When she stopped behind Will she saw him huddled next to the toilet, staring up at them with its eyeless face.

"I found him," Will said into his walkie.

"Where?" Dustin's voice asked.

"In the bathroom, by Mr. Salerno's. Ash is with me."

"Oh good. We're coming." Will frowned.

"Copy that," Mike said.

The device went silent and Will slid the antenna back into it. Dart chirruped curiously, tilting his head to the side and stomping his little slimy legs.

"Creepy," Ash murmured.

Dart hissed, backing up against the wall and Will gave her a look. She sighed, backing up as well to try and give comfort to the creature.

"It's okay," Will whispered. "We're not gonna hurt you."

He leaned forward, reaching out to pick the creature up.

"Will, maybe I should—"

Ash was interrupted by Dart screeching loudly, backing up further into the corner. Before she could react there was a thump as Will dropped his walkie talkie, dashing out of the bathroom in one movement.

"W-Will!" Ash ran out after him to find the boy standing stock still outside the door, his entire body shaking. She edged around him, careful not to touch his bare hands.

This is probably another episode, brought on by that sound. If I touch him, what if it brings me back there? I should touch him. He needs me. I'm such a coward.

When she reached his front she realized his eyes weren't closed like before. Instead they were half lidded, his eyeballs flicking back and forth quickly. He stood perfectly straight, but every muscle in his body was tensed as if he were ready to run at the slightest sound.

His head turned slowly, facing down the hallway and Ash followed his gaze, but she couldn't see anything. The feeling though, that was getting stronger every second she was next to him, as if at any second the darkness would just come pouring out of him. Towards her.

Then he turned the other way and ran. He was surprisingly fast for his size, but Ash caught up before he reached the doors, and before her body could stop her she grabbed his hand.

It was cold.

So very cold.

Everything was.

"Ash?"

She blinked open eyes she hadn't realized were closed and was horrified to see gray dust floating in front of her, next to her, everywhere around her. The air was almost cold enough to freeze her breath on her lips, and she felt her fingers tremble as she released Will's hand.