5. "We're kind of okay"

On the day of the carnival, Jiang Yin woke up earlier than usual, planning to go to the venue early, along with her cousin Ai Jia, Tong Yao, whom she befriended in the past week, and Jin Yang, who's been stressing out the whole weekend. She mentally thanked her best friends for making her take a break, even after the stunt she pulled out a few days ago when they asked her to stop overworking. She dragged herself out of the bed, yawning once in a while, and started getting ready for the carnival, excited and nervous at the same time.

As she came downstairs after getting ready, Jiang Yin walked into the kitchen and made herself a bowl of cereal. 

"How are you feeling? Excited?" Lu Yue questioned, entering the kitchen. 

"Yeah, a bit. I'm scared to meet auntie though. I accidentally declined her call last month... And then the most irritating task, the awkward tension. God knows when that boy will get over Tong Yao." She sighed and started eating.

"Don't worry about that, Jiang Yin. We're kind of okay now." Tong Yao took a seat beside Jiang Yin, with an assuring smile on her face. Jiang Yin smiled back gratefully.

"Wha- How!? When? Are you two together again?" Lu Yue bombarded her with questions, earning a wide eyed look from Tong Yao.

"Who's together again?" Lu Si Cheng asked, coming to the kitchen. He opened the refrigerator and took out a water bottle and began to drink it. 

"Tong Yao and our lovely Jian Yang."

At Lu Yue's answer, the surprised ADC spat water all over Lu Yue's face, causing Tong Yao and Jiang Yin to howl in laughter. 

"WHAT" He exclaimed loudly, which made Lu Yue, who still had water all over his face, smirk at him.

"NO" 

"NO?"

"You deserve it, moron." 

"I don't!"

"You do!"

"How can you-?"

"Bitch."

"We're not dating again!"

"WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?" God Ming shouted at the quartet, making them stop their shouting contest. 

"C'mon, we're late. Let's go!" Tong Yao and Jiang Yin left hurriedly, not wanting to deal with an annoyed Yu Ming. 

"Do you think he'll ditch this?" Biting her nails anxiously, Jiang Yin asked Ai Jia, who kept looking at the entrance of the university for more than half an hour, waiting for Jian Yang to arrive at the carnival. "It's only 20 minutes till the event starts and he's still not here. What if he didn't want to come?" She took a deep breath. "He's not that stupid, right?" At her question, a slight chuckle escaped Ai Jia's lips, making Jiang Yin raise her eyebrows at him questioningly. Ai Jia turned to her and put his hands upon her shoulders firmly.

"Jiang Yin, calm down. He probably got stuck in traffic, okay? Jian Yang is not going to skip this event. He knows how grand of an opportunity this is, and he knows how much this means for you, so let's wait for a few minutes. alright?" Ai Jia asked Jiang Yin, who gloomily nodded at him,  seemingly calmed down at his words. "Here, the whole thing is yours." Giving her a chocolate, Ai Jia said, making Jiang Yin grin happily. "It'll help you cheer up." 

"Where did he even get this from?" Taking a bite of the chocolate, Jiang Yin muttered to herself, wondering how her cousin always makes chocolates appear out of nowhere. 

"Magic?" Ai Jia said brightly, making Jiang Yin shake her head in disappointment.

"Cuz... you can't do that. No one can produce food out of thin air, it's impossible. Food is the first of the five Principal Exceptions to Gam-"

"Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration. I know, I know, for the two hundred and fifty eighth time, I know." He finished her sentence. 

"Hehe..." She grinned and turned her attention back to the entrance, continuing to eat her chocolate, ignoring her cousin's playful eye-roll.

"Ah! There he is!" Jiang Yin exclaimed as she gave a little wave at Jian Yang, who just showed up at the entrance of the university where the carnival is being held at, looking distraught. Jiang Yin heard Ai Jia muttering something along with 'Ah, there comes the traitor...' but a not so genuine smile swiftly covered his face as soon as Jiang Yin muttered 'Act nice Jia, just this once.' with her puppy eyes and promised him a box of chocolates. When Jian Yang came near them, she saw some bruises on his face, which made her and Ai Jia look at each other worr.

"Is it just me or... does Jian Yang have something on his face?" 

"I don't think it's just you cuzzy, what should we do?"

"I'll take care of it, you should go and see Jin Yang and Tong Yao. There's only 10 minutes left and I'm sure they're worried." She gave Ai Jia a reassuring smile. "Tell them I'd be late." Ai Jia gave a pat on her shoulders and left quickly. 

After he left, Jiang Yin approached Jian Yang who was coming towards her, with a look of hurt on his face, and said, "C'mon, we can't let anyone see you like this." He nodded understandingly, then she grabbed his hand gently and led him to the dressing room, careful not to let any student see him.

A/N: I'm so so soooo sorry to keep y'all waiting for more than 16 days! But I was stuck between classes and homework and some school events so I had no time to write... Well I kind of wasted time watching k-dramas too. (guilty) Anyways, here we are with 860 words. This chapter will be continued in the next chapter too, and it's going to be a long wait for y'all! (sorry again!) 

Hope you'll enjoy this chapter, stay safe and happy! 💕