SEVENTEEN

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══
IRL and insta
══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══

@LEANNALAWSON JUST POSTED ON THEIR STORY!

@leannalawson:

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

    Aria Cohen had not seen her sister in what felt like years. Yes, she knows that they saw each other a year ago and that they call each other every day, but it is not the same. So, as Penelope and Leanna settle into her home (with Penelope only staying until a few days after Lea's 18th birthday), Aria cannot help but feel ecstatic. This is how Aria wishes she could spend her days, with her sister and her favorite niece (well really, only niece) catching up. Penelope and Aria are giggling like school girls in the kitchen, while Leanna is sitting on the couch, scrolling aimlessly through social media. Leanna's refreshing her DMS and her texts, hoping to see a message from one of her friends. So far, Lilith is the only one who has messaged her.

Aria and Penelope are having a fairly animated conversation about their childhood and how Aria totally stole Pen's cabbage patch doll. In Aria's defense, she was jealous that her sister was playing with the doll and not her. As the conversation diverges from their childhood to how Aria's work as a clinical psychologist is going, Aria glances over at Lea's figure on her couch.

"How's Leanna doing?" Aria's whispering now, sipping the tea from her mug.

Penelope looks down at her sister, briefly looking at Lea and then back to her. She sighs setting down her own cup of tea. "Something happened with her ex."

"Matthew, right?" Aria asks, still in a hushed tone to prevent Leanna hearing the fact that two grown women are gossiping about her. Her sister nods, fiddling with her wedding ring. Aria had only met Matthew once when Lea was a sophomore in high school. He was polite and she could tell that the pair were enamored with each other. To Aria, it was a bit odd when Pen called her up and told her that they broke up, leaving Leanna devasted. "What happened?"

As Penelope tells her how Leanna confessed that she did still love Matt, and how Matt insisted they be friends, Aria can tell her sister is frustrated.

"Ari, it just makes no sense. The boy is still clearly in love with her."

Aria shrugs, "Maybe he's scared," she's taking sips in between her sentences, "Maybe it's self-sabotage."

"They dated for two years, what could he be scared of?" Penelope asks rhetorically.

Aria sighs, setting her own mug down, "Well, fear can manifest itself into self-sabotage. Self-sabotage can be unconscious. It can be because we are trying to protect ourselves emotionally, or certain voices in our head telling us we deserve to suffer."

Penelope has one eyebrow raised, silently urging her sister to continue.

"It's sort of like when there's an enemy, and you tell them exactly how to destroy their opponent, but then it turns out you are the enemy and the opponent. It leads to cognitive dissonance between how you act and how you feel. But it can happen for a variety of reasons like our attachment styles. Anxiety disorders are like that as well." Aria is taking the two mugs on the counter and sets them in the sink. She turns around to see her sister already looking at her, "Does that make sense?"

"Sort of? So, if someone had anxiety," Penelope's emphasis on the word 'someone' leads Aria to believe she's referring to Matt, "they would hear voices? Voices that can tell them to break up with someone they still love?"

It takes a while for Aria to respond, she's trying to gather her thoughts, "Well it's common for people to hear a voice in their head, like an internal monologue. Auditory hallucinations are a whole other thing— which can be caused by anxiety. It would be a massive oversimplification for the voices to say 'break up with this person'. It would most likely be a series of self-deprecating and harsh statements that could make someone do that. But, yes it is possible."

Before Pen can respond, Ari is plopping down next to Leanna on the couch, "So, I think we should all go out and get dinner. What do you think Lea?"

"Yes please, I am starving." Leanna turns off her phone, turning her body towards her aunt, "Can we get Italian?"

"Of course, we can. Let's change, then we can go?" Leanna nods, getting up and walking towards the guest room her aunt had set up for her.

"I am going to be the best quasi-parent the world has ever seen! " Aria says jokingly to her sister.

@ LEANNALAWSON JUST POSTED!

@leannalawson:

tagged: a.cohen
liked by nicolassturniolo, alahna111, and others
@leannalawson: my aunty is better than urs !!

user444: wait this is so cute 😭

leannalawson liked this comment!

a.cohen: my niece is better than anyone!

user378: oh wait her aunt kinda...
╰─▸ user290: kinda what 😭
       ╰─▸ user378: she's hot 🙏

user614: miss her in mass already...

user725: where's ur ring from?
╰─▸ leannalawson: it's from some shop on etsy i don't remember the name

user112: lilith's mom is pissed rn
╰─▸ lilithlawson: i have two dads 😭

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

first NY chapter

not a lot of comments on the insta post cause i couldnt think of what to say tbh

dropped some psychology (something i love love researching and im majoring in it in fall of 2022) to give a bit more depth to their breakup

but i love aria she's my fave shes just so smart <3 +also at this point it will mainly be lea's POV

until next time!!