VII. T R U T H

The sound of police sirens caught the group's attention

The sound of police sirens caught the group's attention. Cassie and Bella immediately recognized their fathers' cars. "Hey, can we stop real quick?" Cassie asked, her attention on the blue and red lights flashing in front of her.

The two girls hopped out of the car, making their way towards the station. They split up, Bella walking to Charlie's office, while Cassie walked over to a hunched over Daniel. "Dad?" She called out, he looked up, relief flooding his eyes.

"Cass, hey." He sat up straight, making his under eyes more visible.

"You should go home and get some rest. You've been here all day." Cassie said, as Daniel moved around trying to organize his desk more.

"I can't." Daniel responded, looking through all the pictures again. "I just..... there's something missing. I can feel it." Cassie just looked at him with sympathy. Sure, he hadn't know the officer that long, but it still doesn't make it easy to see.

"Come on. You can't work on caffeine only. Maybe if you get some rest, it might help you find the missing piece." Cassie responded, leaning against the chair. Daniel reached up and grabbed his daughter's hand, squeezing it gently.

"You're right." He said, letting out a sigh. " Where would I be without you Cassandra?" He asked, giving her a smile.

"Probably passed out somewhere due to exhaustion. Come on, let's go." Cassie said. Daniel stood up, wrapping his arm protectively around Cassie, as if he was scared if he let go, she would be the next victim of this animal.

************

Cassie laid in bed, her eyes trained on one of the mushroom lights that hung over her room. Something in her mind kept thinking back to her and Bella's conversation with Jasper and Edward, and also to what Quil had said.

Quietly getting up, she flicked the light switch, sitting in front of her computer. Staring at her reflection on the black screen, she sighed. Why was she doing this? What was the point?

Ignoring the swarming questions, she powered on the computer, and quickly went to google. She once again paused, before typing Cold Ones into the search bar. Hundreds of articles popped up. She clicked on one called, The Cold One: Apotamkin.

Scanning through the articles, she suddenly stopped.

"Unnatural speed"

Squeezing her eyes shut, she prepared for the collision. But that never came. Instead, she felt a cold muscular arm wrap around her waist, flinging her up and away from the van. Gripping onto the arm with one hand, she instinctually shielded her face with the other. "Hey!" She said, trying to move to see Bella. "Bella! Hey!"

"She's ok." The male said. Cassie looked up, and her gaze met Jasper's. "She's ok." He repeated himself. Almost as fast as he got there, he was gone. A crowd soon began to form around the girls, but Cassie didn't pay any mind to them, all her thoughts had been locked onto Jasper, and how he had gotten over to her so fast.