Kabanata 6

Cheater

"Persephone has one simple rule for Orpheus. He is not allowed to look behind him until Eurydice left the underworld, completely. He disobeyed Persephone's warning. Excited to meet his beloved wife again, he looked back to Eurydice, after the first sunlight touched his face. He then realized his mistake. While he is already in the land of the living, his wife is still grounded in the land of the dead."

Mrs. del Tuazon shared with us the tragic story of Orpheus and Eurydice in the class. I was all ears while listening to the story. All of us were nervous because of the clicking sound of Mrs. del Tuazon's heels. I almost stop breathing when she stood at my back.

"Your next activity would be a narrative essay. Five hundred words minimum, and you can write as many and as creative as you can do. Now, I want you to write a new ending from the story of Orpheus and Eurydice, and submit it to me at our next meeting which is on Wednesday." After her announcement, the bell rang.

Lahat kami'y nakahinga nang maluwag at nag-ayos ng gamit para sa aming lunch break.

"And please follow our format—Times New Roman, 12, 1.5 spacing, justified, and the name and section are written at the end of the essay. Clear?"

"Yes po." All of us answered in chorus.

"Alright, who will lead the prayer?"

Nagtaas ng kamay ang liaison officer ni Mrs. del Tuazon na si Jasper at siya na ang nagdasal ng prayer before meal.

"Tara canteen." Pag-aaya ni Lala.

Hinanda ko ang wallet at packed lunch ko bago kami pumuwesto sa canteen. Nagmamadali na kami at baka maabutan pa kami ng Angelus sa daan.

A revised ending, huh? The story of Orpheus and Eurydice is our topic for this lunch.

"I'm thinking that Orpheus deserves a happy ending kaya ipaglalaban niya pa si Eurydice!" Tumawa si Andeng sa naisip niyang idea.

That's not a bad idea. "Paano mo ma e-execute yon?" I asked.

Andrea looked up as if she is thinking of a good way to write the ending.

Pareho kami ni Lala na nagulat sa biglang paghampas ni Andeng sa kanyang notebook sa lamesa. I held my chest as I steadied my heartbeat.

"Jesus! That's not even necessary." Pagrereklamo ni Lala kay Andeng sabay hampas sa kanyang braso. Mahina lang naman dahil malakas manapak itong si Lala.

Andeng rolled her eyes and then she's back to her jolly state. She then narrates her plot.

"Since Orpheus already lost his chance and I'm giving him another chance, it'll be much more difficult for him to reclaim Eurydice. Kukunin ko lang din yung concept sa story ni Eros at Psyche. Psyche has to undergo a series of impossible tasks, so I'm thinking that Orpheus should also do his best! Nakakakilig kaya na ipaglalaban ka!" She dreamily hugged her notebook as she silently squealed.

Napailing si Lala sa inakto ng pinsan kaya nagkuwento na rin siya ng kanyang plano.

"Yung sa akin ang ending ko ay ipaglalaban ulit ni Orpheus si Eurydice ta's after niyang ipaglaban, hindi pala siya mahal ni Eurydice at iiwan ulit siya para masakit!" Pagmamayabang naman ni Lala sa kanyang tragic ending.

"Ang saklap naman 'yang ending mo. Bakit, kapag ikaw nasa posisyon ni Orpheus, anong mararamdaman mo?" Andeng raised a brow at her cousin as she crossed her arms around her chest.

Hindi ko alam kung anong meron pero sa tanong ni Andeng kay Lala, hinampas din ni Lala ang lamesa at kuminang ang kanyang mata, siguro'y may ideyang pumasok sa kanyang utak.