< Chapter Six >

Everyone except Felix walked out the door.

"Aren't you going too?" I said looking forward to a little bit of privacy to wrap my mind around things.

Felix shook his head. "Remember? You chose me as your personal agent and guard. It's a dangerous time right now so we can't leave you alone."

"Oh.." I said a little disappointed. "Well, um, I'm just going to go freshen up."

Felix nodded and pointed to a door that led to the bathroom.

I walked to the bathroom and once I was inside, I couldn't stop the tears from flowing down my cheeks. I looked at myself in the mirror. My whole life was going to be different now. I'm supposed to be somebody important, but I'm not. I'm just me. How can I live up to everything that everyone wants me to be? I'm so scared.

I sat on the toilet and continued to think about everything that had happened that day. When I woke up this morning, I was just an average, broke, college student. Now I'm the First Lady?

TAP TAP TAP.

I looked up when I heard a gentle knock on the door. I quickly sniffed and tried to wipe my tears away.

"Yes?" I replied trying to sound normal.

"Is everything okay, miss y/n?" Felix said through the door.

"Y-Yes, everything is fine." I said as I tried to wet some toilet paper to get the black mascara off my cheeks.

"Can I come in?" He asked softly.

"Just a minute!" I finally got myself to look presentable. My eyes were still puffy and red, but I felt that if I smiled nobody would notice. "Okay, you can come in. Is everything alright?"

He gave me a slight frown. "Is everything alright with you?"

As soon as he asked that, a few tears slipped out. I quickly wiped them away, embarrassed.

"Yeah, no, of course, I'm alright. I'm just... adjusting," I said quickly.

Felix tilted his head a little and looked at me. "Hey, I may be a secret agent, but I'm still a normal person. I can tell when someone isn't okay," and then he added quietly, "and when someone has been crying."

I looked down at the floor and started crying again. "I-I just-" I couldn't find the right words to say.

Felix pulled me in for a hug and wrapped one arm around my waist and one arm on the back of head, petting my hair softly. "It's okay, it's going to be alright." He repeated.

Just then, we could both hear the others enter the main room. Felix looked at me real quick and then walked out. I could hear him talking to the others but I couldn't makeout what they were saying. I sat back down on the toilet, once again trying to hold in my tears.

"Hey, can I come in?"

I looked up and saw Sophia leaning on the wall. I nodded and she knelt down in front of me.

"I understand you're going through a lot." She said, speaking softly. "I think I might know something that would cheer you up and help you see one of the perks in your life right now."

I looked up her. "Like what?"

"Well, I was thinking I could talk to Mr. President David and see if we could go to the mall. It won't be exactly the same, but I think buying some new outfits could be some fun right now. And, there's no spending limit which I'm sure you're not used too."

I smiled a little. "You think so?"

She nodded. "You only have a few outfits here, and they're mostly dresses that the maids picked out. I think it could help to have a little something with your style. And, you couldn't tell by looking at me," she gestured to her suit she was wearing, "but I do have a decent sense of style."

I laughed a little through my tears.

"Wait here." She said and left the room.

After a few moments, Agent Taylor walked in with a light smile and carrying a small bag. "Since I travel a lot, I usually have a small bag of the necessities." She put the bag on the bathroom counter and I saw there was some makeup supplies inside.

I smiled a little. "Thank you. You all are really kind."

"It's our duty. Part of protecting you is to make sure you're mental health is good. And part of that is making you feel as comfortable as possible right now."

Agent Taylor then left the bathroom and shut the door. I rummaged through the small bag and did a little bit of retouching. I used some concealer to cover the red, puffiness of my undereyes. A little bit of blush here and there. Mascara to make my lashes visible again. Once I was done I walked out.

"Good news," Sophia said, "Mr. President said we can go. There are of course a lot of requirements though. It should be alright though." She then looked at everyone else.

Agent Burne nodded and looked at everyone. "Is everyone ready to go?"

They all nodded.

Then, once again following Agent Burne and sticking closely to Felix, we walked out of my room and down the hall. When we walked back outside of The Whitehouse, there were a bunch of limos waiting.

"I keep forgetting.. my life is weird now." I said with a light laugh.

-----------------------------------------------

Authors Note: Thank you so much for reading! Im really enjoying the story so far and I hope you are too. I'll upload chapter seven soon. Have a great day!

Date Published: July 4th, 2022

Words: 951 words