Chapter 6: Jordan

I set the journal down on the coffee table and leaned back. The pressure eased from my lower back, having been hunched over for several minutes. His origins were... noble. Or... what he thought were noble. I pressed my fingers into my eyes. He figured out who he was writing to, eventually. Why write this to me? He could have burned it and left it as part of his legend. But instead he left me a detailed record of his atrocities. My mom should have burned it, or maybe now I could.

My door knob began to rattle. I cut my eyes to the clock. Marina. I snatched up the journal and dashed to my room. There were few places for me to hide this. My nightstand was occupied mainly by her things, and she often arranged the things in my drawers. Under the mattress was an obvious choice, and every dirty secret ended up in the closet. She called out to me as she set her keys down. They rattled against the IKEA table by the door.

I felt heat flash on my cheeks as the adrenaline kicked in just a bit. Marina could not find this, it would scare her. She was a sensible woman and a sensible woman would run at the mere thought that her boyfriend was related to a notorious serial killer. For a moment I thought about my mom. Yes, a sensible woman would run. She had explained it many times, but I never did understand why she didn't turn him in when he let her go. Life would be different, I wouldn't be me, but she would have been happier. She would have had a better, different life. I yanked open the closet door and opened my safe. Marina didn't know the combination and it was where I kept my service weapon. She'd never know it was there.

Marina finally made it into the bedroom, in perfect timing, just as I shut the closet door. She brightened up when she spotted me and came over to kiss me. I was painfully aware that I had broken a sweat from the time it took me to run from the living room into here. She didn't seem to notice and turned away from me, kicking off her shoes and taking off her sweater. She had all but moved in. Most of her things were here, almost half of the closet were her clothes. The next logical step was a marriage proposal. I pulled on my shirt to create some air, the material was sticking to my skin.

She walked over to the nightstand to grab her Kindle, when she suddenly paused at my pillow. I didn't realize what she was looking at until it was already in her hand. The anxiety rippled over me. Oh god. She unfolded the piece of paper and held it up to her face. I took in a deep breath, releasing it so slowly, I felt like I was deflating. Marina turned to look at me, holding the note by the tips of her fingers. She could probably see it written on my face, I knew what it was.

I expected her to demand answers, but she remained quiet for a few seconds. She read it once more, as if the first time wasn't enough.

"Jordan, what's um... this?" She asked.

I had two options. Admit that there was someone writing me a note or lie entirely. If I wanted her to be my wife, I couldn't keep any secrets from her. That was the right thing to do.

"Ha, the team and I have picked up a little game. We break into each other's places and leave notes behind. Guess my security set up isn't that good, huh?" I laughed, walking up to retrieve the note.

Don't be afraid, I am the way, just like he was the way.

This note was different, it had been signed this time. The Mimic... It sent a tingle down my spine. The Mimic, who were they mimicking, him? Marina arched her brow, clearly not believing the bullshit coming out of my mouth.

"This is a cryptic note." She said, reaching for it again.

I folded it up and shoved it into my pocket. Great, now all our fingerprints were on it. I should invite the neighbors in to touch it too.

"You know how Annalise is." I said, grinning.

"She's not funny." Marina replied.

"Well, this is part of an inside joke. It's harmless."