Chapter 12 - Maria

The information they had on The Mimic was very little. They assumed it was someone young who could bear the weight of a dead body and was strong enough to overpower the victims. They were leaning towards a young man, someone outcast, paying homage to Kris.

Perhaps it was a young man, Kris was the patron saint for young men who believed they were being wronged. They had done their homework on the family, so they knew that it was Jordan who was the son and had figured out how to contact him. 

The women all had the initials of the previous victims, so perhaps this kid wasn't picky. He was killing all races, whereas Kris had stuck to white women until he branched out and found me. Based on the current victims, he was likely a college student who was a psychology major. 

We could maybe say he wasn't well adjusted and kept to himself, but Kris wasn't like that. He was flashy with a personality that drew people in even though he was prickly. He knew how to lay on the charm, so I believed that this new killer had the same personality.

Some of the women had had their uteruses carved out. It was a message, but what kind? It was the symbol of motherhood. It could be because he was abandoned by his mother, like Kris was. Most serial killers had severe mommy issues. 

Kris killed because he couldn't protect his mother, and so he found a twisted way to protect young women he felt were being shunned by the world. This killer was targeting psychology majors, hardly women forgotten by the world. 

Jordan and Annalise had come across the name Chrissy, an obvious homage to Kris. Was this girl actually the killer? Or was she connected to someone who did the actual killing? Kris never had a partner until he met Alexandra.

Maybe this pair wanted to be like them.

I looked at Annalise who withdrew into her chair at the mention of her mother. Jordan reached under the table to clasp her hand.

"We're seeing the connection here, right?" Zach said.

The members of the table looked at him.

"Let's say they are partners. Chrissy and a young man. She lures the targets and he kills them. They've been targeting Psychology majors who are participating in programs to become either psychologists or psychiatrists. The uteruses were removed, a clear sign of motherhood, and they have been reaching out to Jordan, the son. The targets are all who Maria was when Kris met her. She was the one who got away. When he later worked with Alexandra, the purpose was to kill Maria and Alec and take the children. They are finishing what they started. They're planning to take Jordan and are killing Maria over and over again, making up for lost time."

A silence fell over the room as we considered his words. I knew from the moment he finished that he was right. It made sense. Jordan was also around the same age as Kris, when he started his work. They are trying to trigger an awakening.  It was all lining up perfectly.

"Do you agree, Dr. Gonzalez?" SAIC Sherwood asked.

"I do. Dr. Aleksandrov's assessment sounds highly plausible. We knew that eventually, someone would have this kind of response. It took longer than we expected, and I never expected it to be someone Jordan and Annalise's age. Most kids these days don't have that kind of response to serial killers. I always thought someone would do this closer to when Kris died. What I find strange is that the killer isn't contacting Annalise or Aiden." said.

"I'm much more vocal against Alexandra and Aiden has practically cut ties with us. Jordan did not know Kris, so maybe the killer believes that he was robbed of a relationship with him. Maybe he believes that Jordan did not have a chance to awaken the killer instinct. I just don't understand why it's happening now." Annalise said.