Chapter 28

Mason Pov

I barrel towards Ava's front door Ben close behind afraid I'll pop the new stitches in my arm. 

"Ava" I yell pounding on the door with my fist. I attempt to look through the small window next to the door, but the house is dark and her driveway empty. Another dead end. 

"Where could she have gone" Ben questions walking along the side of her house. After the gunfire, it was only then we realized i had been grazed by one of the bullets. Ben and Kendra forced me to sit for stitches as everyone else went out trying to find any trace of Ava. We had even checked the mountain but found nothing more than a busted gate and some pieces of a taillight. There wasn't even any trace of a shooter. Usually, this is something i admire in someone's work their ability to make every connection to them disappear, but right now all it does is frustrate me more and more. A hollow feeling of failure already beginning to creep up. 

"I don't know... I... I... I don't know" I sit down with a huff dragging my hands down my face. Ben takes a seat beside me on the old concrete in front of Ava's door splaying his legs out in front of him. He tapped the toes of his black vans together drumming his fingers on his knee. I could tell he was trying to think of what words to say if any.

"She'll be okay" He finally decided on nodding like he knew that was something that was undoubtedly true. It did little to ease the ache in my chest or the way my lungs got heavier with every breath. I shake my head massaging the back of my neck with my hands. 

"What now" I question. For the first time in my life, i truly didn't know what to do next. Ava was this beautiful mystery she could be anywhere. 

"Ryker" Ben states i could feel him staring at me from the corner of his eye. "If anyone is going to have any chance of knowing where she is he is our best bet" I knew he was right, but it didn't lessen the blow his words had on me. I truly knew nothing about her and yet she consumes my worries and thoughts entangling me in her web of mysteries. How could someone who is a stranger become the center of my focus? I had never felt this kind of draw before like i had to earn every piece of her and i was determined to know everything. I felt like i was going insane. Why does everything about her drive me crazy? That kiss was still fresh on my mind she smelled like lemongrass soap and lavender. She was soft and warm the heat of her pressed against me and in my arms on a constant loop. What i wouldn't give for even one more second of that kiss.  

"You think he'll tell us" I question. 

"She trusted us enough to bring him that's got to be worth something" I really wanted to agree, but the world we live in is tough. If he's truly her best friend he won't take to us lightly. She's out there alone with a crazy psycho chasing after her who manipulates people into doing what he wants for fun. 

"And if it's not" The fear of that question rests deep in my mind. Ben shrugs rubbing his eyes with the back of his thumbs. 

Ryker sits at the top of the queen bed with a cup of water in his hand and a deep frown line creased between his eyebrow as Justin recounts the last 8 hours. He had woken up an hour ago, but Ben wanted to make sure his vitals were stable before breaking the news to him. He had only asked two questions so far which were "Can i have some water" and "Where is Ava". I stood at the foot of his bed my arms crossed over each other my finger tapping impatiently for Justin to finish. I knew it was important to get him to trust us, but all i wanted was to find her. My patience was at it's snapping point i was using the last strand of it to hold back from bombarding Ryker with questions. 

"Is Ava Okay" Rykers asks taking a small sip of water from his cup. 

"We don't know. She took off in a car and we haven't been able to find her" I say stepping forward as Justin sighs nodding his head confirming my story. "Look i know you don't know me and i don't know you, but please if there is any way you might know where she is" I wasn't ever known to grovel, but for even just the smallest clue i was ready to kiss this man's shoes if it meant seeing her again. 

"Ava can protect herself" 

"She shouldn't have to do this alone" Kendra pipes in putting her hands over Justin's shoulders pulling herself flush against his back and peering over his shoulder. She was exhausted and worried. We all were. 

"Look, this is her way of protecting you i know it's hard to understand, but even if you find her she won't let you help her" Ryker explains with a soft tone. I felt a sense of relief that he knew we aren't here to hurt her. It's the first step in earning his trust something i feel as though i would have to do to earn my spot next to Ava. 

"I know, but she is also so used to protecting everyone, but herself that needs to change," I say Ryker turns the full brunt of his gaze on me. He's curious i could tell, but he seemed to read me like a book a small smirk flitting over his mouth before disappearing. 

"We just want to know she's safe and not bleeding out and dying cause she is so freaking stubborn" Kendra explains pushing images of Ava like that into my brain making goosebumps bubble up over my arms. My stomach twisted again acid at the back of my throat . 

"I can check on her and let you know" He starts before i cut him with a shake of my head. 

"We need to see for ourselves" I need to see for myself. Words alone weren't going to be enough. 

"It's amazing how much she's gotten you wrapped around her finger" Ryker muses leaning back and drinking more of his water. Embarrassment at his sudden remark burns my face red before a second later being replaced by anger. 

"She doesn't have me wrapped around her finger" I gawk acting appalled at the notion. I'm not whipped i barely know the girl. 

"oh wow you are in deep" Ryker chuckles finishing his glass of water. 

"We don't have time for this where is she" I argue annoyance at his indifference stoking the flames of my anger. 

"I'll take you to her, but only one of you can go with me" Ryker sends a sly smile my way waiting for me to take the bait. 

"I'm going," I say before anyone else can pipe in. 

"Hook, line, and sinker" He quips slowly turning himself to get up off the bed. I really hate this guy. 

The rusted Motel 8 sign creaks in the light breeze of the rising sun. The sky was a soft lavender the first rays of the sun painting the sky with red and pink streaks. The early air smelled of rain and the chill in the air confirmed the oncoming storm. Exhaustion worked its way through my bones heavy weighing me down. Ryker walked/limped beside me a hard grimace on his face. He was very clearly still in pain. The parking lot was filled with older cars that had a light layer of dew over the windshields trying to catch the first new ray of sun. In the back corner sat the car Ava had driven into my driveway in. The back was smashed with a large dent and scrapes coating the hip of the car. Blood still stained the passenger seat and floor a gray jacket thrown over them in a weak attempt to hide it. Four bullet holes line the back of the trunk a burst of gray metal from the dark red coat. Ryker whimpered as he took in his car. As if he wasn't in enough pain already this was threatening to send him into shock, but she was here. Hope flooded over the cold doubts that had been running through my head. She was here and I needed to see her. If there was one thing i was sure about it was that my liking toward Ava was deeper than i first thought. I really was whipped.