Chapter 22

Mason pov

I watch the revolving burrito in the microwave as tiredness seeps through my bones spreading in me. I let out a stiff yawn and continue to stare. well, i'm officially bored. The doorbell rings out in the quiet silence of the house. I scratch my bare chest having just decided to wear black sweats and no shirt. I walk stiffly to the door remembering the man from earlier. I grab a gun from the kitchen table stuffing it in the back of my sweat the cool metal slightly stinging my skin. I open the door as i reach it one hand on my gun. Everything in me drops. Ava stands at our door her eyes ablaze and teary. Her cheeks hold new and old tear along with smears of blood. Her hair frazzled and her black hoodie and leggings have patches of them covered in blood. "Ava" I say my voice coming above a whisper worry etched into her name. "Please help me Mason" She says her voice broken and unhinged with a tinge of raspiness to it. She had been screaming. Her back turn from me as she sprints out into the driveway. I follow behind her my heart screaming my chest at seeing her like this. Tearing into my insides.  She stops at a small red Hyundai. "It's Riker" She says pulling open the passenger side door.  A man lays there his face broken and battered blood drenching his clothes is eyes unwilling to open. A twinge of jealousy hits before i move forward. "Go call Ben and Kurt tell them to get the doctor" I say to her moving toward the man. She nods her head sending a final glance at him and running off to the house. I put my fingers to his neck checking his pulse. It's weak and faint. Ben rushes out first with Kurt and the doctor in tow. I step back as the doctor checks on Riker. I let a small surge of jealousy explode through my veins green envy floating its way inside of me. I suppress as i see Ava rush back her green eyes wide and panicked as she shakes in the chilling winter air. I walk over towards her placing my hand on her shoulder. A rush of electric currents flow through my hand. Ava leans closer to me before she is touching my bare chest with her head explosions rocketing through me. I wrap my arms around her as she places the back of her head against my chest my heart rattling at having her so close. "He will be okay" I whisper to her my breath touching her ear as her brown hair sways from it. She nods stiffly flooding into my arms tighter. I rest my chin on her head savoring her smell and warmth. Her body rumbles against mine and i know she is crying. A frown slips onto my lips pulling like a anchor. "It's all my fault" She sobs out her words heavy and with uneven tones. "It's not" I whisper back as she releases another sob. I hug her tighter my heart breaking into dust at her cries. "Who's Riker to you" I say making a false attempt of calming her. She leans back against me as i hold her weight. "He's my best friend ad practically my brother" She says her voice weak and tired vulnerable. Surges of relief tear into the jealousy as i my heart clenches from her tone. "He will be okay" I say again as Kurt and Ben grab Riker and follow the doctor inside. I release Ava and she stays in my chest a for another second before finally walking toward them. The cold hits me surging into my muscles stinging at my skin. I rush back inside and close the door. The doc has Kurt and Ben follow him as Kendra races down the stairs folding Ava in a hug. Ava pats her back her emotions almost dead. "Let's get you cleaned up" Kendra says her voice soft and comforting. Ava shakes her head. "Ava Riker is going to be with the doctor for awhile" Kendra whispers to her taking Ava's blood stained hands into hers. Ava watches the way they went lost in thought before she nods.  Kendra begins to lead her up the stairs as Ava looks back at me giving me a small smile. I return it and watch as she is dragged up the stairs. The microwave beeps and i turn at the sound of it pulling my burrito out. I place it on the counter the plate burning into my cool hand. I look down at my chest happy to find no blood on me. I pick my burrito and take a bite only to be greeted by cold food. I groan in frustration and pop it back in the microwave. Sure thanks i love hot plates didn't at all want my food to be warm.