014

DEVOTED

⋅︓︒︑∘∗✧∘︑︒∙︓⋅⠄✯∘⠄✧⠄

chapter 14

⋅︓︒︑∘∗✧∘︑︒∙︓⋅⠄✯∘⠄✧⠄

berkeley showed up at lianas' at couple hours before the party. she insisted they pregame before matt picked them up.

"my mom has wine and a couple boxes of truly's in the cellar." liana said, putting on one of matt's sweatshirts.

berkeley gasped, "you want me to go down there alone?"

liana nodded, connecting her phone to her speaker. "do you want to pregame or not?"

"fine." berkeley sighed dramatically, rushing down the hall.

a couple minutes later berkeley returned with a bottle of wine and a case of truly's. they switched from topic to topic while slowly getting ready.

"okay," berkeley started. "don't freak out when i tell you this."

liana hesitated, she was straightening the last pieces of her hair.

"josh will be there."

⋅︓︒︑∘∗✧∘︑︒⚬∙︓⋅⠄✯∘⠄✧⠄

liana
rain check? we can watch fireworks at my house

matty
what? why?

liana
just don't feel like drinking 

matty
we don't have to drink, i'll stay by your side the whole night

liana
sigh. fine.

matty
leaving soon😊😊

⋅︓︒︑∘∗✧∘︑︒⚬∙︓⋅⠄✯∘⠄✧⠄

liana saw nick's head pop out of the sunroof, she strategically held her half drank truly, phone, wallet, and keys as she locked up the house.

"what happened to not drinking?" matt asked, as liana slid into the passenger seat.

"changed my mind."

"can we listen to doja cat?" nick yelled, squeezing himself between matt and liana.

"no." matt said, turning on the street where the party was. cars lining the street.

liana choked on her drink, liquid spilling on the dash and herself. 

matt groaned, growing irritated with liana. "great, now my car is going to smell like alcohol. thank you liana."

she hummed, looking through the glovebox for napkins. "there's a spot in the back where you can park."

the car came to a stop, matt sighed as nick opened the door to get out. "finally, i thought he would never shut up."

the house was loud and packed with sweaty bodies. they made their way towards the drinks, liana fished through a cooler to find something fruity while matt grabbed a bud light.

"bud light is gross and overrated." liana said, leading matt outside.

"i have a question." matt says, setting down his beer. "you've been here before, haven't you? and not for a party."

liana gulped, "yeah."

matt sighs, "i'm going to look for a bathroom, be right back."

"hey liana." a voice said. liana turned, her breath getting caught in her throat. "hi josh."

"trouble in paradise?" he asked, taking a step towards liana.

liana scoffed, tripping over a rock. josh grabbed her forearm. "you could say that."

"are you done with him?" josh asks. "come back to me liana. you'll be happier."

"fuck you josh. i'm a lot happier with matt than i ever was with you." liana says, nudging her shoulder into his as she walked back to the house.

she was berkeley, chris, and nick talking in the corner of the living room. nick smiled, ushering her over. "hey liana, where's matt?"

"bathroom." liana said, picking at her nails. "i'm going to look at him."

chris grabbed her arm, slightly shaking his head. "no liana."

she laughed, tugging her arm away. "why not?"

"he's, uh." chris hesitated, scratching his beck. 

liana scoffed, throwing her drink in the trash, running out of the house. chris running after her.

"liana." he yelled. "slow down, fuck you're fast."

"leave me the fuck alone chris." she yelled back, immediately regretting it. "i'm sorry."

"no, it's fine. you're angry and hurt. don't apologize." chris says, trying to calm her down.

matt comes running out of the house, looking both ways before he spots chris and liana. his shoulders drop as he sees the state of liana.

"don't let him come after me. please." her voice breaks. "do this one thing for me."

chris nods, turning around to stop matt from running after liana. "give her some space matt."

he pushes chris, trying to get around him.

"what the fuck chris, let me go after her. she's clearly drunk and needs a ride." matt yells, pushing chris harder this time.

liana wondered if this is how all relationships die, slowly like a soft whimper.

⋅︓︒︑∘∗✧∘︑︒⚬∙︓⋅⠄✯∘⠄✧⠄

authors note
rewrite