016

DEVOTED

⋅︓︒︑∘∗✧∘︑︒⚬∙︓⋅⠄✯∘⠄✧⠄

chapter 16

⋅︓︒︑∘∗✧∘︑︒∙︓⋅⠄✯∘⠄✧⠄

lianas' mother said once that heartbreak sadness comes in waves. she would say it would hurt at night, and apparently screaming into your pillow at three in the morning is the romantic equivalent.

lianas' came at nine in the morning on a tuesday morning one month after the party. she was standing in the kitchen waiting for toast to pop up, the sunlight came through the blinds, casting a ray of sunshine a couple of meters away from her.

it hit her, the dusty sunlight and the smell of burnt toast. she misses him.

liana missed him so much she didn't know what to do with her hands. she cried so hard that her throat hurt for days straight after that. a couple nights after her breakdown she heard a car pull into the driveway, then the car door slammed followed after.

the doorbell must have rang at least 30 times. then the banging started. "liana! i know you're home, your car is here."

matt.

the whole universe was against her. she quickly turned off the lights and sat near the big window, from the window you could see the front door and the street.

"fine, if you don't want to talk to me than fine." he said weakly. crying. sh had never heard matt or anyone man for that matter cry like their heart had been ripped out from their chest.

her throat tightened. it took everything in her not to open that door and hold him until their bodies molded together.

her brain must've shut down, because next thing she knew she was opening the door and matt was scrambling to stand up from leaning against the door.

"hi." liana said, her voice cracking and vision becoming blurry.

"liana." matt said, cupping my face from the doorway. though he never stepped inside. "i'm so sorry."

an eternity passed as she let his warm hands cup her face. she leaned into him, letting her tears drop down my cheeks and onto his palms. she almost caved. "stop, please stop matt."

liana took a step back to shut the door. "liana, please." he begged, holding the door open with the palm of his hand. "this is breaking my heart."

"your heart?" liana said, anger now replacing her once sadness. "what about mine? how do you think i feel?"

his pained expression now blank.

" did you ever once think about how i felt? how i was handling this?" she said, opening the door wider. she didn't care that it was morning and everyone could hear her. liana was mad, heartbroken and embarrassed.

"fuck you matt." she slammed the door so hard it echoed throughout the house. the tears wouldn't stop, she couldn't see her hands.

her love for matt was fading away slowly. like a candle that's been burning for so long that the wax starts to put out the flame itself. our candle that was once lit, was now slowly dying.

⋅︓︒︑∘∗✧∘︑︒⚬∙︓⋅⠄✯∘⠄✧⠄

authors note
rewrite