prologue

— ° —

— ° —

EXTRA-ORDINARY: MY LIFE AS NUMBER SEVEN

CHAPTER EIGHT – MINERVA

Minerva – Minnie as myself and my siblings called her – was one of the kindest souls you would ever meet. Most days we were just strangers living under the same roof, but Minnie made it bearable. At least for me. In some ways, just like Ben, she held the family together.

I still remember her humming all the songs she got from her walkman that our father always scolded her for. She used to joke that when we were older she'd sing at one of my concerts. I remember how she and Klaus would play pranks on Luther, how she'd help Mom take care of Diego with the help of her powers, and how she could spend hours chatting with Allison.

She loved everyone, but I think Ben and Five were the ones that she held closest to her heart.

Ben and Minnie were the only two that I think were truly siblings. Where Minnie went, Ben was close behind. It was no secret that Ben thought Minnie hung the stars in the sky and to Minnie, Ben was the sun after a rainy day. They were the definition of two peas in a pod. I like to think they still play cards wherever they are in the afterlife.

Then there was Five. They were closer than any of us and it was clear as day that there was a spark between them (I think Klaus and Diego made bets on how long it would take for them to admit it). Five's rough exterior always kept everyone at arm's length, but Minerva always had a way to wiggle herself into your heart no matter how hard you tried to keep her out. Some would credit that to her power, but I think that was all just her. They were complete opposites; two sides of a coin.

Her death only furthered the divides of the already broken family. Without our glue, we fell apart, we became strangers again.