five

— ° —

— ° —

PRESENT DAY

IN A HIDDEN room in the basement of the Hargreeves' home, a young girl laid on a small hospital bed surrounded by machines that had kept her alive ever since her accident so many years ago. Now they were idle, collecting dust much like all of the other forgotten relics in the house.

That's what she was: forgotten. At least, that's what she thought.

Minerva Hargreeves had escaped death at the cost of being unable to move for nearly twelve years. Locked in her mind with the only thing to keep her sane was her mother reading and keeping her company every day.

She started by moving her fingers, then her toes. Slowly, movement came back to her and tears welled up behind her still closed eyes. She could move.

Minerva sat up, wincing at how sore everything felt; even her bones were somehow sore. Her body screamed at her to lay back down and go back to sleep, already exhausted from this small movement.

Her bare feet touched cold metal when she slung her legs over the bed. The feeling shot through her, making her jolt, a shiver rolling up her spine. Her eyes flicked open. The first thing she noticed through her somewhat blurred vision were the nearly bare metal walls, the only decorations being a calendar on the far wall near the door that she couldn't make out and the large bookshelf directly in front of her.

She pushed herself up, nearly falling as soon as she put weight on her legs.

"Okay, maybe not," she whispered to herself. She winced hearing her voice, it was scratchy like she had the worst cold in history. Then again, what should you expect from being immobile for so many years?

To her left, the metal door creaked open, the sound of heels clicking against metal following before pausing. She turned her head to see her mother carefully balancing a glass of water and a sandwich

"Oh! I didn't see you there!" Grace smiled then placed the tray on a table that Minerva hadn't noticed. "I was trying to get this here before you woke up."

"...Mom," this time, Minerva's voice croaked not only due to her coma, but the relief at seeing her mother for the first time in years instead of just hearing her voice.

"Don't try to talk for a few minutes, Minerva. Your body is still getting used to being without that pesky serum." Grace said as she moved to help Minerva to sit back on the bed then rolled the food over to her daughter. "Try to eat, please."