three

— ° —

— ° —

FOURTEEN YEARS EARLIER

THEIR LATEST MISSION had the Hargreeves children sprinting around the house like mad men trying to gather their things. Alarms blared red, echoing throughout the house, screaming at the children to hurry up while Vanya's music completely juxtaposed the irritating noise with the soft melody playing from her violin.

"Coming through!" Allison shouted as she came down the stairs and jogged toward her room. "Come on, Luther!"

"How will the Umbrella Academy ever become an effective crime deterrent if we can't even leave the house on time for missions?" Their father shouted over the alarms, his disappointment not missed by anyone within a mile vicinity. "Come along, children! Come along!"

Minerva was no different as she struggled to get on her boots, hopping towards her door as she struggled to tie her laces. Next door, she heard Klaus jumping on his bed, laughing maniacally.

"Where's my knives!" Diego called.

"Should be on your desk!" Minerva called back as she finished her left boot, moving to the right.

"Boys will be boys," she heard her mother mumble as she neared her door. "Everything alright Minerva, dear?"

"Just...can't...get..." she kept hopping in place, trying to get the stupid boots on as quickly as she could.

"Here, try sitting next time," Grace said, bending down and finishing off the knot before standing and fixing her mask which had become tilted as she'd hopped around her room.

"Thanks mom!" Minerva said, kissing her mother's cheek before running out of the room, following Klaus downstairs.

°

"You need to be more careful! Who knows what could've happened if Luther hadn't gotten in there in time!" Five scolded.

"Well, it was either risk it or let that kid get crushed underneath a flaming pillar," Minerva countered.

"It wouldn't have mattered if you had gotten crushed too!"

She rolled her eyes, letting Grace finish wrapping the burn she'd gotten on her arm during this latest mission and listening to Five flip his lid over it. Yes, she'd impulsively run into a burning building — their mission being the evacuation of said building — after a child and would've gotten crushed by a pillar if it weren't for Luther pulling them out of the way. It was a calculated risk that she probably should've calculated a little more. In her defence, it worked out until the other beam holding the one that had it out for her had shattered.