𝑈𝑛𝑡𝑖𝑙 𝑡𝑜𝑛𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡

2008

"I can't be with you anymore," said the girl avoiding eye contact. "But why?" cried Harper feeling her world falling apart. "I just can't be with you anymore, we have to break up" she continued. "I don't get it, Lizard, everything was fine and from one day to the next you tell me you don't want to be with me anymore? We promised we would always be together" she said through tears that kept coming out of her eyes, feeling like waterfalls. "Sometimes forever doesn't last forever" she admitted with a pained tone. "What the fuck does that even mean?" Harper groaned between tears, her stomach knotting with sadness. "I don't love you anymore, okay?" Elizabeth cried with tears in her eyes that were falling like rain on a cloudy day. "Say my name" Harper said. "Why?" Elizabeth asked. "Just do it, please" she reply, clenching onto her jacket. Then Elizabeth spoke the hopeless 6 lettered name and from that moment, Harper knew.

Nothing was the same. Nothing was going to be the same again. There was no joy in her voice; no happy memories, not a single bit of care.

Harper let go of her jacket and walked away.

~

Harper Taylor and Elizabeth Olsen, friends since childhood; they were neighbors and attended ballet classes together. Their friendship grew stronger and they became the best friends in the universe... or so they said. From friends to lovers, each other's first love until one day, when Harper was 16 and Elizabeth was 19, everything changed.

After what happened between the two of them, their friendship and their relationship ended. Luckily for both of them, they were no longer neighbors, so they didn't have to see each other when they left their house... The vacation period at school and ballet classes had started; also, Lizzie went to NY to study at the university.

As for Harper, her world did fall apart a bit. Harper's parents had many disagreements over the past few months, but the final straw came when Harper came home from school a little early than usual and found her dad (Devon) with another woman, one of the many with whom he had been unfaithful to Harper's mom (Lorraine), so after months of divorce proceedings, Harper and her mother moved to Pittsburgh where her nana lived, almost 3,000 miles away from their home.

During these years, Harper finished high school, went to college, studied journalism, earned a master's degree in communication sciences and a doctorate in literature, all of which made her one of the most recognized authors in the world today.

~~~~~~

April 2021-Today

"Miss Taylor, Mr. Langston is on line 1 waiting" my assistant let me know walking into my office. "Thank you Amber, I'll be right with him" I advised without taking my eyes off the papers on my desk.

H.T- Langston, how can I help you?

L- Harper, hi, I want to ask you if you have some free time this afternoon to get together, I would like to talk to you about a project I have in mind and you know you are my favorite writer.

Adam Langston is one of the most well known film directors in this time, he has great movies that have been nominated for oscars and emmys and most of them have been written by me, Harper Taylor. Of course I don't say that to brag, but it's the truth, we've been working together for over 11 years and we've done a great job. He was one of the professors at my university, my favorite professor actually, he's a father figure to me.

H.T- Sure, at our usual bar at 5 o'clock?

L-You know me well, I'll see you there.

I hung up the phone and called my assistant. "Amber, please call Florence and tell her I have a meeting with Langton at 5, after that I will pick her up for dinner" I instructed her. "Sure Miss, anything else you need?" she asked with her notebook in hand and staring at me with those blue eyes that sometimes seem a little scary to me. "No, you may go, thank you" I concluded to continue reading what was in my hands.

It was the last chapter of my most awaited book "gold and blood", the last book of my most famous trilogy. I started writing it when I was in high school, so you can imagine how precious this is to me.

Although I had to delay it a few years due to work and life, these last months I had more time to focus on what I wanted to write and what I would like to close these books with.

"Okay, I think it's perfect. But I'll wait until tonight to show it to Florence, she's the best one to decide if the final stays or goes" I said to myself arranging the papers strewn on my desk.