Parents

Hiccup's Pov

"Mum" Merida said quietly amidst the sound of chewing, swallowing, and eating. Abruptly everyone stops and stares at her. I keep eating nervously, afraid of the reaction to what happens next.

"Yes Merida?" Queen Elinor responded suprised, looking at her daughter with eyes raised.

"Ay have an announcement ta make" Merida requested with her blue eyes bright and excited. I smiled a little, sometimes I could get lost in her beautiful endless eyes.

"Boys" Elinor says promptly with a hint of a smile on her face. Hamish Hubert and Harris look up at her from their plates. The seven year olds' grins are easy to recognize and I chuckle under my breath. "Yu are excused" she finishes and eagerly the boys run off with a platter piled high with cookies and treats.

The queen notices that I stay instead of excusing myself like I normally would do. She turns back to Merida, obviously pleased. Evidently the king noticed I'm still here as well, he seems less jolly.

"Well, Mum, Da, I" Merida starts a little nervously. At first I awkwardly face down at my plate. However I move my head up and straighten my back. I love this girl, and I was going to announce my own intentions.

"King Fergus" I said interrupting Merida's confession. The king looks at me curiously "If I will receive your permission, I would be set in courting your daughter" I spoke firmly and smiled at Merida. Her smile was large and her eyes were wide, she looked so happy, that was how I always wanted her to feel.

King Fergus spit out his drink and Queen Elinor frowned at him. He looked so shocked, but after examining Merida's face he sighed. "Aye lad, if yu can win her heart, yu can win her hand." He allowed smiling at his daughter. She exhaled loudly, relieved, I just beamed.

"Thank you King Fergus. I assure you that you did not misplace your trust" I assured him. "Oh Ay know, besides yu wouldn't live to see the morning if you hurt my daughter. She can take care of herself.

I gulped and Merida and her father laughed at my expense. Merida's mother smiled at me with an odd look in her eyes. It wasn't outrage or annoyance, it wasn't smug, it was..... Happy. I returned a grateful smile as the rest of us finished our food.

____________

I walked Merida back to her room an hour later. "Thank yu Hiccup" she said when we reached her door. "For what?" I asked bewildered, not sure why she was thankful.

"For facing me da, it means a lot" She told me, eyes shining. She thought for a moment then kissed my cheek. I blushed a little and just smiled at her like an idiot. "Stupid stupid stupid" I thought after she shut her door. I hit my head with the palm of my head and walked dazed to my room.

"I could've kissed her" I mumbled to myself as I walked to my room "or said something romantic!" I cursed. I walked into my room with Toothless close behind. I sat at my desk and sighed.

I pulled out a piece of parchment, a letter to my mother. Telling her about Merida, about my decision.

I wanted to marry her