Secret Lunch Date

The piped music paused as glass doors of the elevator parted revealing an exquisite view of the Malaysian capital city. The liftman cordially bowed to the couple who stepped out hand-in-hand returning his gesture as gracefully.

The lady looked up at her man smiling, eyes twinkling with mirth. Her shoulder-length, partially gray hair was styled decently in loose curls, face sans makeup, yet she appeared divine, perfectly draped in an ivory saree with simple, gold jewellery.

"Here's your table, madam and sir. Have a wonderful evening." the waiter wished pulling chairs for them.

"Thathayya, I want to sit with you!", a chubby toddler with tiny ponytails and cute, pouting lips barged between them.

"Ammamma!", the little girl's brother caught up pulling his grandmother's finger.

"No no no. Babies, thatha and ammamma cannot hold you on their laps for too long. Don't trouble them."

"Smruti, let them be nanna. I don't know when we'll get to see my bangaru thalli and Baahubali again. Your father is still not old yet. He's just 73." Prabhas took a seat rolling up the sleeves of his crisp, white satin shirt inviting his 3-year old granddaughter onto his lap.

"Amma, are you sure?"

Anushka nodded assuring their daughter. Meanwhile, her grandson grabbed the cutleries arranged on the table observing them one at a time with his twin sister who squealed clapping her hands. She kissed both their cheeks hugging the baby boy closer. "Let them stay with us. I don't know how we'd survive without the babies in our house after you leave. These two months flew by in a blink of an eye."

The young parents smiled.

Prabhas who was busy adoring the bundle of joy on his lap immediately added,"Now your amma will ask me to book tickets to Boston or create a fuss."

"Pupsu!" she nudged her husband making everyone laugh. The naughty glint in his eyes had never faded. He was the same old Prabhas she met at this very hotel for their first secret lunch date.
----------
Kuala Lumpur, 2008

Meher Ramesh, the director of blockbuster Telugu movie Billa, paced towards the veteran star Krishnam Raju who was chatting with his nephews and son-in-law who were producers of the project.
"Sir, this'll be the last scene for today."

The unit was shooting round the clock in order to wind up work as soon as possible. It was nearly 2 in the midnight. Mrs.Krishnam Raju walked in with Indian snacks and hot chai for the crew and cast members. Anushka blazed to her help. She served tea to the people around including lightmen, direction team, and production department. Mrs.Syamala Devi hugged the actress before receiving her cup of tea. She was waiting for everyone to pack up though her character was not involved in the scenes currently being filmed.

Prabhas tugged his director away from the set, "Darling, did you ask?"

"Yes darling. All good. Get ready by 1 in the afternoon." Ramesh winked.

Prabhas scratched his head,"Thank you andi."

The shot resumed and everyone hurried to their positions. It took longer than they predicted leaving everyone bone-weary.
----------

Ramesh covered his ears with a pillow murmuring lazily on his bed. The doorbell rang for the third time at 12:30 PM on point. An enthusiastic Prabhas clad handsomely in a white formal shirt tucked in blue jeans waited for someone to answer the door. His hair was combed neatly as he stood grinning before it.

"Sir, aren't you ready yet?"

"Darling, I thought all the work yesterday would've drained you out but you're already here 30 minutes earlier to what we decided?" Ramesh almost shrieked.

"Saar!"

"OK OK. Give me a few minutes. I'll freshen up."
----------

Rooftop dining area, Hotel Shangri La, Kuala Lumpur

"She's not late. I think we're early, darling. I'd intimated her to arrive by 2 PM. Wait, she's calling me."
"There she is."

The men stood up to greet the gorgeous guest who joined them for the 'special lunch'.

"Sweety, what shall we order?" Meher Ramesh quickly spoke up sensing Prabhas sweat grinning.

"Anything you guys like. Prabhas chooses well." She chimed sitting right beside her co-actor further intimidating him.

Ramesh hid a smirk passing him the menu. In fact, he was the guest amongst them.

"Ahhh, director garu.. you order for us today." He nervously handed the book back.

While between their fun conversation, the director left the actors alone to attend a phone call.

Anushka's hands brushed against Prabhas' when grabbing a spoon.
"You can take this, I'll ask for another."

He picked up his cellphone,"Sir, I give up. Enough of this drama. Don't leave us now. Let's all go back together."

"Everything will be fine. Talk to her, darling. I can accompany you in the evening to the pub."

"Avanni oddu leyandi sir. I'll talk to her in the shooting location. We're not going anywhere tonight."

"Prabhas, is it Ramesh garu? What happened?"

"Nothing Sweety. He's got something to attend back at the motel. Umm.."

"Oh okay."

"Dessert?"

She nodded.

"Sweety, umm.."

"What's the matter? Are you alright?"

"I— I actually-"

Anushka set the tart aside anticipating him to say what she thought he would.

"You're a nice girl."

Her face faltered. She tried hard to not giggle but couldn't.
"Thank you."

"I— I really like you."

"Thank you."

"I mean-"

Anushka turned to his side. He was naughty alright but she admired his innocence too. Sometimes even wondered how he had both the traits while being the tremendous human he is. It wouldn't be wrong to say she had a crush on her striking co-star. Like, who wouldn't?
"Do you want to go out this evening?"

Prabhas was bewildered.

"Ramesh garu too, maybe?" She added.

He could feel the blood rush to his cheeks. Gently holding her hand, he kissed the top of it and smiled; that charming smile of his which drove people crazy.
"I'll pick you up after today's schedule."
----------

Sweety jerked hearing her grandchildren's calls.
"Ammamma, brownie."
"Ammamma, doughnut."

Prabhas watched her all along, the same story running on his mind. The place was nostalgic, holding a significant memory that brought them so far in life. He narrated the incident to his daughter and son-in-law earning praises and teases.

Their tiny Bahubali created havoc until desserts arrived. On the contrary, the little bommali drowsed off on thathayya's chest. He caressed the baby's back pecking her head occasionally.

A doting grandpa, loving father,understanding husband, passionate lover, best friend, responsible son and people's star.

Anushka couldn't resist herself from kissing him when they returned from dinner.
"Happy anniversary Pupsu! I love you forever."

His wrinkled face brightened. Holding her close, "Happy anniversary bangaram. Love you too."
—————