Chapter 4

Rooster had barged into Elise's office, his face a look of pure annoyance. Elise put her hands up in innocence. "I just told Hangman a story about why my call sign was Legs."

"And that included you and I having sex?"

"The story did, but it was just a joke! You and I both know it's not true. It was just too easy to get him all riled up. I certainly didn't expect him to come and find you."

Rooster put his hands on his hips and Elise thought he looked like a little teenage school girl annoyed by her parents. "What exactly did you tell him?"

Elise got up and stood as close to Rooster as she had been standing to Hangman. He looked at her curiously, but played along.

"Want to know why my call sign's Legs?"

"Why not."

"When your fucking--there's no nicer way to say it--what do you normally grab?"

Rooster's eyebrows shot up and Elise's smile was coy. He took a step out as he let out the breath he was holding. "You said that to him?"

Elise shrugged. "It's better than saying, 'oh yeah, I got my name because when I play soccer, all I can do is kick people in the shins.' That's just not as flattering."

"Why'd he come up to me?"

"I may have hinted that we--"

"Why? "

Elise shoved a finger at his chest, making him move back a step or two. "Hey, you're the one who gave me that stupid call sign and you're the reason it stuck. So, if I get Hangman to corner you in the locker rooms, no harm, no foul."

"No, no, because now he's has this vendetta against me as if I'm the issue, when in reality, I didn't do anything."

Elise smiled and pushed his shoulder a little, hoping it would relieve some tension. "It's all just fun and games."

"I just don't want Maggie finding out."

Elise's eyes sparked when she heard Maggie's name. "You finally asked her out, did you?"

"I asked her out a few years ago."

"Has it really been that long since we've talked?"

Rooster gave a nod as an answer and Elise shook her head. She couldn't believe that. Once she had been moved up and started her training for Top Gun, she lost contact. She didn't mean to, but it's just what happened. And at that moment, she was regretting it quite a bit. 

She knew Maggie back when Rooster and Elise were working together. Maggie was a girl they both met at the beach and Rooster was head over heels in an instant. Maggie had abandoned her family to go hang out with them and she was glad she did. She met two new friends that day and, from what Rooster told her day after day after day after day, they stayed in contact.

"Well," Elise said, trying to get out of her own thoughts, "when does Maggie Banks become Maggie Bradshaw? Anytime soon?"

That's when Rooster turned bright red. He couldn't look Elise in the eyes anymore and started pacing all awkwardly. It brought a huge smile to her face. "Actually, I'm planning on asking her next time she comes up."

"Really? Oh my god, do you have the ring?"

He nodded, but then looked at the entryway to her office. There was a cool set of eyes pinned on her that weren't wavering.

"It sounds like Hangman wants to have a word with you." Rooster said, giving her very knowing eyes. "Want to make the conversation worse?"

"How do you mean?"

Rooster pulled Elise close by the waist and gave her a very soft kiss on the cheek. "You want him to be jealous? I can give him jealous." And with that, Rooster turned on his heel and walked out the door, giving Hangman a wink as he slipped through the door.

Hangman didn't budge as he walked in, closing the door a bit hard. "So it's true, hmm? You and Rooster?"

"Hangman, it's just a joke, give it a rest."

Hangman walked up to her quickly. She tried to back up, but the desk was behind her so she had no where to go. She just watched as Hangman came so close that there was only a whisper between them.

"Just a joke? I'm not finding it very funny." He didn't wait for her response. "You know, I thought I looked like an idiot questioning Rooster because you wouldn't be stupid enough to actual fuck everyone here, but you have, haven't you?"

"Hangman, can you just--"

"What about Maverick? Is that how you got this job, you slept with him?"

Elise didn't think twice before slapping him across the face. Hangman took a few steps back, holding his cheek.

"I will not be talked to like this, especially when I am your superior. You need to put your idiotic ego in check right now or so help me god." She straightened her jacket. "I haven't slept with anyone here and, with how things are looking right now, I don't plan on doing that anytime soon."

With one last look, Hangman stormed out of her office, slamming the door on the way out. 

There wasn't a minute of peace as the door was opened by Maverick. "Cyclone has asked to see us."