Chapter 13

The last thing Elise wanted to do was go back to work that next day. She woke up at her usual time, but there was someone next to her. The one person who made all her worries go away and yet still had her heart racing like an idiot. As she tried to get up, she felt his arm snake further around her, pulling her back down. His head nestled into her back. She let him stay there for a moment longer before getting up.

"Seresin, we have to get up. Today's the day."

Hangman stretched, his shirt gone and his muscles flexing softly. "Did that really happen?"

"Yes, yes it did," Elise said, rubbing her face as she tried to get herself to wake up. "We're going to have to get breakfast on the way." 

He looked up at her, not moving from his place on her bed. He gave her a small smirk, but she could tell something was on his mind. As she buttoned her shirt, she started to speak once more. "Look, Seresin, I know you're mad you're not flying with us, but--"

"No, Legs, I'm not--" He stopped himself as he felt his voice rising. He took a breath before continuing quietly. "I'm not angry about that. I'm just worried. I don't need you going out there and killing yourself."

That stopped her in her tracks. She never expected someone like Hangman to say something like that. Not when he was always so brooding to her. And yet...

"Seresin, you don't need to worry." He was sitting up now, on the edge of the bed. Elise smiled down at him as he looked up at her with such adoration. She couldn't help herself as she walked closer, straddling him and tilting his chin up. "I'm a big girl, I can handle myself."

His hands immediately found their way to her hips, gripping them tightly. "I know, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to worry." 

She smiled and leaned in, kissing him softly. He returned it with a more passionate--needy--kiss, continuing to pull her as close as he could. She smiled against his lips. "You're adorable."

"I think there are better words to describe me," he said, his voice so small and delicate.

Elise knew if she sat there for any longer, she'd be there for another hour, so she quickly rose up, detached his hands from her hips, and walked away, putting together her outfit for the day. He didn't follow quite as quickly, but instead spent another fifteen minutes in bed. It wasn't until there was a knock on the front door that he decided it'd be smart to get ready.

When she opened the door, she was greeted by Rooster's beautiful smile and bright eyes. 

"Well, hello, Bradley, don't you look sharp." He was just in his regular outfit, but there was something brighter about his features. She hoped it had something to do with the recent proposal.

"You're not looking to bad yourself." He looked her up and down, a new look framing his features. He opened and closed his mouth a few more times before finally saying something. "You had sex last night, didn't you?"

Elise was the most off guard she had ever felt. Her entire body felt like it was on fire. She couldn't, out of all people, tell Rooster who she had hooked up with. "What--no. I--I didn't leave this apartment at all. I--"

"Elise, do you think I'm stupid?"

"No, but--"

"Who was it?" When Elise didn't respond, a grin slowly appeared on his face. "It's someone I know, isn't it? That's why you don't want to tell me!"

She groaned outwardly. "NO! No! I didn't--I didn't...hook up with anyone."

Before Rooster could respond, who should leave her room but a half dressed Hangman, aggressively looking for his shirt. And, before Rooster could say anything, Elise was shoving him out the door and closing it behind her.

"Bradley, please don't--"

"Hangman? Really? I mean, I hope your needs were met, because with him--"

"No, my needs..." she thought back to the night before, "my needs were met."

Rooster cringed, turning away slightly. "I don't want to hear about this." 

Elise took a deep breath, trying to center herself. This was not how she pictured this morning going then again...she didn't picture the night before either. 

"Look, I can't just leave him in there so can I just meet you there?"

"I'll call his Uber." Rooster didn't have a hint of joking in his voice. He obviously wanted her gone.

Elise shook her head. "No, we both need to go, so--"

"Elise, I'm taking you."

"What? No. I don't need you to--"

"Elise." His tone was rough. "We're both flying today and I--I just need to drive you, okay?"

That's when it hit her. If they didn't make it back...they'd never see each other again. They were going into a completely risky situation and she was so wound up over a man she had only met months ago that she hadn't even thought of that aspect of it. She was so keen on a dirty blonde man who had made her feel blissful the night before, she had completely forgot about the best friend who had made her feel happiness the last five years of her life.

"Oh, Bradley," she uttered softly. She brought him into a close hug, holding him just as tightly as he gripped onto her. "Let me get situated and then I'll be good to go."

"Thank you."

When her and Rooster made it to the base, there was a new type of tension that filled the air. Everyone knew what day it was. 

As they got into their planes, she gave a small salute to her other partners--Phoenix and Bob, Rooster, Maverick--but before she could get in, she felt a hand on her shoulder. As she turned around, she was met by Hangman's beautiful stare. 

"Legs. Don't be an idiot out there, alright? Be safe. Make smart choices."

She gave him a coy smile. "I'll make choices." When he didn't laugh, her face softened and she grabbed his cheeks softly. "Hey, look at me. I'll be safe and I...well, Seresin, I really--"

He shook his head. "Save it for after the flight. When you come back to me."

"What in the fucking movie script was that? No, I'm telling you now. Just in case something happens, I'm gonna tell you now. I really like you Seresin, and if I get through this, I want to go on a real date with you."

"I'd really like that, Legs." 

He leaned in slightly, making sure she was okay with it before they both leaned in. The kiss passionate, hopeful, broken.

"I'll see you soon," she added softly. And then she was off, getting into her familiar plane, ready to give it her all...and hopefully not die in the process.