Chapter 9

The last thing Elise wanted was to go to work. No--she could handle that. What she couldn't handle was the way Hangman just looked at her. The way his eyes were trained at her at all times. The way she couldn't stop looking back at him no matter how hard she tried.

And, even though she had lost count at how many times, every time she would look at him, he would already be looking back.

I blame you, subconscious.

Maverick looked at his class and Elise finally did too. They all looked...worn out. Weathered.

"Alright, that's it," he said as he surveyed them, "let's get the hell out of here and have fun."

As everyone started to hustle out, Elise didn't get a chance to catch Hangman as Coyote came up to her. He put his hand on her shoulder to turn her around, he had a cocky grin on his face.

"Word around here says you spent the night with Rooster a couple nights back. That true? Cause if you're wanting a place to sleep..."

Elise rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, giving him a smile. "Coyote, I just slept over, he's my best friend. I'd do the same thing if you were mine, but the more you hit on me, the less best friend points you get."

Coyote slammed his hand against his chest mockingly and took a stumbling step back. "Breaking my heart, Legs."

"Mhm, just go to the bar, Honey. You'll find many a drunk woman there."

He gave her a laugh before heading off in the opposite direction.

When Maverick said fun, he meant fun. All the boys and Phenoix playing football, all their shirts off (including Bob's), their bodies glistening in the sun. There was lots of yelling and shouting, cheering and taunting. It was everything these people needed to get their heads back into the game for the next crucial part of the mission. Actually doing it.

Sure, for them that might be fun, but for Elise, her happiness came from reading by the beach. Which is exactly what she did.

It wasn't long, however, before her sun was blocked by someone. When she looked up at who was there, she literally had to swallow down everything because the man in front of her...

The man in front of her was a six foot, shirtless, sweaty, dirty blonde man standing over her. He was in the middle of throwing the ball back to the group before turning back to her. Elise. Elise who was sitting there speechless and stunned. Stunned to say that he was much more than she had imagined him in that stupid dream last night.

Her eyes were beady wide as she continued staring at him. And she continued to stare at him as his abs clenched when he laughed. He took off his sunglasses, bending down over her. More.

"Need a pair?" His voice was breathy.

It only encouraged Elise's mouth to stay bone dry. She gained just enough confidence to fix her composure and give him a small smirk as she grabbed the glasses. "Don't you need a pair?"

He reached into his back pocket and grabbed another pair of aviators. "Don't you worry, I've got plenty." He gave her a wink and was about to head back, but something caught his eye.

"Hey," it was Maggie, "I invited Elise to dinner with Rooster and I tonight, want to join?"

Elise's eyes were wider than ever as she tried to communicate with either of them that this was the last thing she wanted. But, Hangman didn't care. "I'll be there." And he was gone yet again, continuing to play football.

And Elise didn't look back at her book once.

"I can't believe you invited him." Elise said, throwing her coat over her arm and heading out of her door where Maggie and Rooster were standing, waiting for her.