¹⁸coughing violently

ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ᵉⁱᵍʰᵗᵉᵉⁿ. "ᶜᵒᵘᵍʰⁱⁿᵍ ᵛⁱᵒˡᵉⁿᵗˡʸ"

two adult men panted in and out, trying to catch their breaths despite the short yet fast-paced trip they took outside of the small shop.

the detective - jae-ik - simply placed the young girl down, placing his hand above the baby safely kept within his jacket, trying to catch his own breath. the other police officer with him - ho-cheol - was also out of breath, but was annoyed. "you said we were going, so we should've just gone- are you just going to save everyone in the world? are you the spirit of god?"

jae-ik simply glanced at him, not affected by his words. "police officer."

ho-cheol simply muttered out a small "damn it", glancing at the zombies. jae-ik then unzipped his jacket, removing the baby from his hold and giving him to the other officer. ho-cheol seemed dumbfounded and confused from being handed the baby, as he knew nothing about caring, even holding one, but jae-ik didn't care, as he wanted to make sure that the young girl with them was also okay.

the little girl had tears streaming down her face, scared upon what had just happened. jae-ik's father mode came out once again, fussing over the little girl worryingly. "are you alright? are you hurt anywhere?"

the little girl simply continued crying, as waterfalls fell from her eyes. young irises then turned towards the window, before pointing at a woman who became one of the infected. "eomma. she's over there."

jae-ik's brows softened upon realising what the girl was pointing at, his heart saddening upon the fact that the girl's mother was now gone. the little girl stood up, slowly walking towards the glass until jae-ik stopped her. he didn't want the little girl to continue seeing her mother in that state, so he made her look away.

"sir, i don't know how to hold babies."

"i want sae-bom-eonnie." the little girl cried, slowly turning her head back towards her mutated mother, before jae-ik turned her head away.

"we'll get you to your older sister soon, yeah?" the detective smiled at her reassuringly, as ho-cheol panicked at the background.

"this baby keeps smiling at me."

"stay still for a minute." jae-ik announced, looking at the young girl, though ho-cheol thought it was directed at him as he looked down towards the crouching male. slowly, he brought the young girl in for a hug. "we're going to meet up with your sister again, okay?"

the girl continued letting out small cries, sniffling here and there as she rested her head on jae-ik's shoulder. "okay..."

jae-ik could feel the girl's sadness reflect upon him, having been a soft-type of guy himself. he looked up, immediately feeling sorrow for the girl's family and everyone else in the world. imean, what did the young girl do to have lost her mother in this type of situation? along with the many innocent people of their world, what did they do?

"what is wrong with this world..."

"ᶜᵒᵘᵍʰⁱⁿᵍ ᵛⁱᵒˡᵉⁿᵗˡʸ"

sae-bom watched as zombies crowded the field in front, how they mindlessly tried to search for a source of food. i mean, it was how they work. a blank, undead species with one goal: to feed.

exhaling once more, the girl let the drug take over her body. after a while of smoking, she was relieved of the stress that built up earlier. from the pressure placed onto her by the other students in the room, as well as the worry of turning into one of them.

the others in the room grew quite as well. everyone sat near each other, sitting around in a circle. everyone but three people: sae-bom, gyeong-su, and su-hyeok.

"i feel like my stomach is going to cave in." gyeong-su whined, laying on the desk with his arms over his stomach.

"you're not the only one." su-hyeok mumbled, before remembering something. he turned his head to sae-bom. "ya sae-bom. doesn't nicotine make you less hungry?"

the girl sat on the window sill, her back against the frame as a cigarette hung loose from her hands. she nodded, huffing out a puff of smoke. "yeah. it does."

"is that how you're not hungry right now?" su-hyeok asked, earning a nod from the girl. scrambling, the boy got up from the desk next to gyeong-su, walking towards the girl. "give me some."

sae-bom simply raised a brow at him, knowing he hadn't smoke a cig before. but seeing the determined look on his face was adorable - to sae-bom at least. so she obliged. handing him her one, sae-bom watched as su-hyeok confidently placed the cig in between his fingers, and placing his lips around the end, inhaling.

only to end up coughing it all out aggressively.

a stiffle of laughs were held by sae-bom, taking the cigarette stick back from him. but gyeong-su didn't care. a large fit of laughter came from their end of the room, all because of the short boy who found humour in su-hyeok dying from a single inhale of nicotine.

"man, if zombies don't kill you, a fucking cigarette stick will–" gyeong-su stated between laughs, holding his stomach, "and not even from lung cancer- you're gonna die from one fucking puff!"

returning back to his normal state, su-hyeok glared at the boy, mumbling for him to shut up. but seeing as this only made him laugh more, su-hyeok found this as an excuse to be violent. scrunching his hand into a fist, he dropped it onto the boy's crotch area, catching him unexpectedly as his laughs now turned into wails of pain.

but laughter didn't cease. sae-bom was now th one laughing, holding onto the window frame so the she wouldn't fall off of the window. seeing the smile on sae-bom's face made su-hyeok's previous frown turn into a smile, as he laughed along with her.

gyeong-su rolled his eyes at them. "oh har har guys. you're so nice. laughing at a person in pain."

"you being in pain is always funny. end of discussion." sae-bom snickered, leaning her head and arm on su-hyeok's shoulder - who now stood directly beside her.

"why you–"