Sorting and meeting

I took a deep breath as Mo and I were escorted to the lake where boats were waiting for us. She smiled at me and got into a boat. I followed her and watched as other students boarded boats and were sent off towards the castle that was our school.

Mo reached for my hand, her nerves starting to get the best of her. I held her hand tight, smiling at her, my nerves building as well, but also an excitement that I almost couldn't contain.

"Hey (y/n)?" I looked over at Mo, who smiled at me. "We'll be best friends, right?" I nodded my head. "Of course Mo. I'll be here for you as long as you're here for me!" She nodded her head. "I'll always be here for you." I smiled at her again, and then we landed at the dock.

We were escorted to a large room near the great hall, and there was chatter all around. Mo and I chatted ourselves, but it all stopped once a boy, who I recognized to be Draco Malfoy, started to poke fun at a red-headed boy.

It didn't last long, as another boy, whose lightning scar was just barely visible under his mop of messy brown hair, started to tell Malfoy off. I smiled, knowing who he was, and proud that he was standing up for the redhead.

After another moment, professor McGonagall came in and started instructing us on what would happen. After another incident with a boy and his toad, we were led into the great hall. We got in a line, Mo holding my hands tight.

I looked around, taking in the fact that I was finally here. I looked up at the professors, but one caught my eye. He had black hair and dark eyes with a hooked nose, but he didn't seem much older than us. He looked like a kid, so why was he up there?

He noticed my staring and made eye contact with me. Embarrassed as I was, I couldn't seem to break eye contact. His eyes seemed so mysterious, mystical even. There was sorrow, tinged with spite. He seemed just as intrigued by me as I was by him.

I couldn't look away until Mo started whispering in my ear. "It's almost my turn (y/n), wish me luck..." she was tense, but I squeezed her hands, trying to reassure her. "Good luck Mo."

"Bennett, Meridian!" Mo took a deep breath and stepped forward. I watched, holding my breath, as the sorting hat was placed on her head. After a moment of silence, "Hufflepuff!" I smiled as her new house clapped and cheered. I clapped with them as she took her seat with her housemates.

It took nearly a half-hour before my name was called, the only notable ones before me being Draco Malfoy sorted into Slytherin and Harry Potter being sorted into Gryffindor. I took a deep breath, and finally my name was called.

"(L/n), (y/n)!" I took another deep breath and walked up to the stool, taking another look at the surprisingly young-looking professor. We made eye contact, but I broke it quickly this time. I sat down promptly, looking straight ahead.

"Nervous are we?" I heard the hat say as it was placed on my head. "A little, yeah." The hat laughed, reading my thoughts. "Oh, but not about your sorting, no. It's about that young-looking professor. You're curious about him, worried about his power, how powerful he might become if he is already a professor at his age." I gulped, waiting for this to end.

"Rest assured, you have no need to worry about him. A very curious mind though, but not enough to warrant putting you in Ravenclaw, so it ought to be..." he paused, probably for dramatic effect, before finally announcing my house. "Hufflepuff!"

I smiled as the hat was finally taken off my head. Applause erupted from my table, so I took another deep breath and went to sit next to Mo. she smiled and hugged me tight, and I looked at the final few kids that needed to be sorted before looking back at the professor.

Mo talked to me, and I talked with her, but even as we were eating, I was observing the professor. He seemed to be observing me as well, as we kept making eye contact. I noticed things about him throughout the night, such as the deep worry lines he had despite being so young, the perpetual frown he seemed to have, and the flashes of curiosity that sparked in his eyes every time we made eye contact.

It had been a long night, but eventually, we were led to our dorms by our prefects. We learned how to tickle the pear to get in, and luckily, Mo and I were out in the same room, along with two other girls who introduced themselves as Tina and Caroline.

I plopped down in bed after changing and brushing my teeth, ready for a good night's sleep. It didn't take long before I passed out.

~Snape's POV~

I took a deep breath and sat in my chair, exhausted after the night's activities. I thought about the events, but my mind started on one particular thing in particular.

A young woman who was sorted into Hufflepuff, I believe her name was (y/n). She intrigued me. We kept making eye contact throughout the night, but nothing seemed to come of it. She seemed curious, but in her eyes, I could see a hint of anguish, as if something had happened right before she came here.

I took another deep breath, deciding to call it a night and not think about this girl any longer.