Chapter 6

Sophie landed in Everglen's yard. 

Everglen?

Hadn't she pictured Havenfield?

She wasn't sure. But it didn't matter. Because she was away from the Neverseen. 

"Alden!" Sophie yelled, racing up the stairs. A tired-looking, worn-out elf came down the stairs. What'd happened to the handsome elf he used to be??

"Sophie?! Are-are you alright?" His worried face tensed as she nodded unconvincingly. 

"SOPHIE?" Biana screamed, launching out from behind her father. "IS IT REALLY YOU?"

Sophie blinked at the enthusiastic response from her friend. "Umm, yeah?" she asked. 

Fitz dragged himself out of the yard, huge dark circles under his eyes. 

"Sophie?" he asked, unbelieving. His pace sped up until he reached her, throwing his arms around her and squeezing like it was the end of the world. His crisp, accented voice broke as he said,

"Where have you been?"

Keefe heard the commotion and ran out of the house next. 

"Why are you guys all at Everglen?" Sophie laughed, as Dex, Linh, Marella, and Tam raced out next.

"Foster? Did my mom... did she hurt you?" Keefe's eyes were dark and angry. 

Sophie shifted. "No," she tried. 

Yes.

Her arms were cut and scratched raw from the ropes that Ruy and Gethen had bound her with. Umber had filled her room with shadows that had caused severe pain every time she resisted them, and Sophie ached.

Keefe walked over and brushed her arm, sucking in a breath.  

"How many times do I have to tell you? You can't lie to the Empath." His eyes grew darker. "My mom will pay for this."

"Actually," Mr. Forkle said, appearing in a shower of glitter, "I bet that's her plan."

"What?"

"Mr. Sencen-" Mr. Forkle started.

"Keefe," Keefe interrupted. "I'm not a fan of that name right now."

"Very well. Mr. Keefe, we all know you have a... special connection to Miss. Foster," he said.

Fitz glared.

Sophie shifted.

Marella laughed under her breath.

Keefe nodded.

"Miss. Foster, did Mr. Sen-Keefe's mother do anything strange before you left?" Mr. Forkle said wearily.

Sophie nodded. 

Where was he going with this?

We're going to need to watch Keefe,  Fitz's voice informed her. He nearly ran away to save you when his mom took you. Which would have had terrible results. 

So, you didn't want to save me?

No! I mean yes? I just meant that we needed to wait until it was safer to save you, he explained.

But Keefe didn't care?

No. He was ready to die for you.

You weren't?

Sophie could tell from his thoughts that he was uncomfortable with her questioning. She smiled grimly.

"If you two are done with your mental conversation...?" Mr. Forkle asked. "I believe I asked you a question, Miss. Foster."