A new way of freedom

Ok, so I tricked you. This is not an Aralas one-shot, but one about Arwen and Eowyn. I've wanted to write something about them for a very long time, and today I got some inspiration from other Aralas stories (thank you all people in the fandom for your stories and, most importantly, very InTeReStInG comments...). At least Aralas exists in this story too, maybe that's some kind of consolation for you haha. Hope you like it anyways!

The king made his way towards me and I held my breath. I had lied to my father, and I had lied to Aragorn. And now it all came back to me.

It seemed like ages ago that Aragorn had proposed to me with the ring of Barahir, and as I looked back upon it now it was all shed in darkness. The recent events had made my whole past turn into a huge black cloud of memories, that seemed not of my own. My childhood with my father and my grandmother Galadriel in Lorien shone bright and clear. Then came the darkness that shadowed my heart, and in that darkness Aragorn came and I had taken him, to lead me out of the darkness.

Which I was now, I could see clearly again, the world was once again a place to live in, not a place to fade away in and that was what Aragorn had done for me. But I had lied to him anyways. I did not want to marry him now.

At first I wanted to, to be safe and cared for in a world she still loved. Because I had seen no other way to stay here, than to marry the King of Gondor. My father wanted me to come to the undying lands with him, to leave Middle-earth forever. But I did not want that. I loved the earth with my whole heart and I wanted to stay. Therefore, I needed to marry Aragorn.

But just now I realised what that actually meant. I would be a queen of a big kingdom and have many obligations. The most important of them being producing an heir to the throne. Which meant, I would actually have to be with Aragorn. And that scared me most of everything.

Aragorn had almost reached me, and I already felt my commitment sealed, but then he turned and put his hands on a young elfs shoulders. It was the prince of Mirkwood, Legolas.And thereafter, I was more surprised than anything. Not mad, not sad, not disappointed. Just surprised.

For they looked into each others eyes and then, she gaped, they kissed. And it wasn't just any innocent kiss, it was experienced and deep and they obviously had done it before. All around them, the crowd gasped, but then Gimli the dwarf burst out in cheering, and the hobbits Merry and Pippin did the same. Behind them near the throne where Aragorn had been just moments earlier, Gandalf the wizard smiled knowingly and even King Thranduil made an approving face. Obviously his son had been blessed with the love of a mighty king, and his son deserved no less.I looked to the right to my father and to my surprise, he looked guilty. So he had known. I dare to say I was a bit annoyed by this. At least he could have told me earlier, then I would not have to have dealt with all this anxiety of becoming a queen.

Soon the whole crowd erupted in applause, and I joined in. What I would do now, I did not know, but I was at least not bound to one man anymore."Why didn't you tell me?", I asked my father.He gave me an apologizing look, then sighed. "I am sorry", He said. "I should have, but I did not want to break your heart. You seemed to fade anyhow, so I did not want to worsen it."

"You are right, I was fading", I answered him. "But you were wrong too. I was not fading because of Estel. I simply did not want to leave to the undying Lands with you. I love this earth and I do not wish to leave it."He looked at me astoundedly, then smiled and gave me a big hug."Why did you not tell me earlier, my dear daughter? I will not make you do anything you do not want to do. If you want to stay and you will be happy, then stay. It is your choice.""Thank you, father", I replied and hugged him again. "If you do not mind, I want to congratulate the king."