Part One

Welcome to Newton.  A sleepy town outside of Boston.  Where kids can play with their friends and shop owners advertise with signs on the street.  It's a quiet town.  An unassuming town.  A town where one-man rules and no one forgets it.  This town, Newton, is Andy Barber's town.

Aurora Thatcher wiped the sweat from her brow as she placed the last table in her shop

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Aurora Thatcher wiped the sweat from her brow as she placed the last table in her shop.  Her shop.  The bakery that Rory always dreamed about.  The Sweetest Things. It took two years, one loan from her grandparents but it was here. The décor was Parisian, black, white and pink.  The displays would be filled with her treats.  The checkerboard floor was polished, the white tables and chairs ready for customers to sit and enjoy their treats. Rory smiled. Everything was perfect.

The bell over the door rang, startling you from your thoughts. A man with dark hair, scruff on his shin stood in the doorway. "Miss Thatcher?"

"Yes? Sorry, we are closed."

"I know Miss Thatcher. My name is Nick, Nick Fowler. I work for Mr. Barber." He offer what she assumed to be a gentle smile, trying not to scare her.

She froze. Mr. Andrew Barber, the notorious mob boss. He ran this town and everyone in it. She had been made aware of this early on and while Rory knew he wouldn't hurt her, she still feared him. "Hello Mr. Fowler. How can I help you?"

Nick Fowler smiled at the pretty young thing standing in from of him. She was petite, with dark hair pulled into braids and a bun, large doe eyes that alluded to the innocence of her. She was beautiful but she also didn't realize it.  Her shirt was tight to her body covered by an apron.  Nick licked his lips at the girl, adjusting his jeans subtly, not wanting to scare her. "I'm sure you are aware Miss Thatcher that there is a certain, let's call it, leasing fee, that comes with owning a shop in this town."

Rory gulped. "Yes Mr. Fowler. My landlord made me aware." She shuffled to the register and pulled the envelope full of cash for him. "I was advised the leasing fee was two."

Nick opened the envelope full of $20 bills. He looked up at her with a smirk. "To start Miss Thatcher. Depending on how profitable you are, that may change. Do you understand?"

Rory nodded, trying not to cry.  She watched as Nick sniffed the air. "You got any samples?" She nodded again and moved to package up some treats she had made.  A couple of croissants, some Danishes, cookies, and her signature red velvet cupcakes.  Nick pulled out his wallet to pay but Rory waved him off.

"If you like them, you can just send customers my way."

"Thank you, Miss Thatcher. Have a nice evening."

Rory watched him leave and then sag against the counter, the tears she fought so hard to hide finally falling.

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.