[a weird one, he is]

⋐⋑⋐⋑⋐⋑❉⋐⋑⋐⋑⋐⋑

The lingering thought of Abuela Elena stayed with me even after dinner with Raoul and Grandma. It saddened me to think she never experienced love, marriage, or the joy of having children. Life had been cruel, denying her the chance to enjoy half of her years.

Would my fate be similar? Like her, I showed no interest in others. My life adventure seemed confined to the worlds carved in the words of the books I read. High standards and a peculiar dread of commitment set the tone of my existence. Did I truly live through my 17 years?

Closing the book, "The Invisible Life of Addie Larue," which had triggered memories of Abuela Elena and contemplations about my life, my gaze shifted to the cup of coffee that had grown cold during my hours of contemplation.

A sudden thud and a shriek erupted from me as I detected a ladder near the balcony railings. Instinctively, I searched for a weapon, suspecting a burglary. However, the grunting revealed a familiar voice, and soon, drunk Theo stumbled into view, eyes barely open.

"What the hell are you doing?" I hissed, conscious of not waking the household. He seemed to have forgotten who occupied the room.

"It's you! I know you! You're Lily, I drew you. Would you like to see it?" he slurred, repeating lines from our first encounter. The wobbling ladder hinted at trouble.

"Stay still, you idiot. Climb up quickly if you don't want to die!" I whispered through clenched teeth, holding the ladder steady. He swayed and ascended slowly, oblivious to the danger below.

Once his hand was within reach, I grasped it and helped him climb. A few inches away from the balcony, I hooked my arm under his and guided him inside. He was barely responsive, reeking of alcohol.

"How did you even manage to reach home in this state? Is this your usual life?" I muttered, lowering him onto the bed. A slap on his cheek aimed to wake him, and with a groan, Theo was tucked under the blanket.

I returned to the balcony, retrieved my book, and settled on the sofa. The disturbance disrupted my reading challenge, aiming to finish the book by 3 AM. Checking my phone, I saw it was already 1 AM. I decided to make the most of the time to continue reading.

As I immersed myself in the book, my phone buzzed the first message since my arrival. It was from Ian. Ignoring it, I buried myself in the captivating words, pushing aside any curiosity about his sudden contact.

The warmth of the rising sun hinted at a new day. The balcony, nestled among the tall trees, provided a serene retreat. I could envision spending endless hours here, reading and sipping coffee. It wasn't as bad as I had initially thought.

With the sun fully rising, I embraced the beauty of Casa de Hermosa's surroundings. "Lily..."

Turning, I saw Theo stirring, eyes barely open, hugging my pillow. "If you're sober enough, get out of here at once," I advised, focusing on the scenery once more.

About to resume reading, I felt Theo attempting to squeeze into the one-person sofa with me, resting his chin on my shoulder. "Get off. You stink and smell like alcohol," I protested, concealing my flustered feelings.

Groaning, he said, "I want to see what you're looking at. Beautiful, isn't it?" His hoarse baritone voice sent shivers down my spine. I had never been this close to a guy before, and the proximity felt unsettling.

"This is not the only sofa, you know? You should understand the importance of personal space, weirdo," I stated, closing my book to push him off the sofa. Surprisingly, he didn't react with anger, just stared blankly at the floor.

"Do you know why Casa de Hermosa literally means the House of Beauty when translated to English?" he suddenly mumbled, breaking the peaceful silence.

Running my fingers through my hair, I leaned back, my attention now on him. "Casa de Hermosa means the House of Hermosa. I know Hermosa means beauty, but it also indicates the family name of the owners. It just happens that Hermosa is our family name, and the land is beautiful as well," I explained.

"Because the owners are so beautiful as well. Too beautiful thateven the sun, which shines the brightest, making everything ethereal, is put toshame," he laughed, sounding somewhat crazed. "I can't believe that Ihave finally met the girl that I have been crushing on all my life."

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧