[layover]

⋐⋑⋐⋑⋐⋑❉⋐⋑⋐⋑⋐⋑

I observe Ethan through my peripheral vision as he engages in a verbal joust with Hera, the other girl in our hiking group. Their banter seems as natural as the rhythm of our footsteps on the trail toward the beach. Their dynamic is intense, filled with the charged energy of a longstanding rivalry that's become an intrinsic part of our excursions.

On the opposite side, the scenery unfolds with Jennie attempting to catch up with Theo. It's a familiar sight, almost routine, as she navigates the uneven terrain with practiced ease. The Casa de Hermosa, a regular haunt for her, seems to draw her like a magnet, beckoning her closer.

JB and I find ourselves trailing behind the group, a quiet duo in the background. He shoulders the burdens of our companions' bags, displaying a gentlemanly demeanor. Despite my repeated offers to assist, he gracefully declines. I can't help but ponder his personality, and a subtle analysis suggests he might be an ENFJ – the altruistic type, always ready to lend a helping hand.

In an attempt to tease him, I break the silence. "Hmm, it's either you have some kind of complex as an ENFJ, wanting to help everyone, or acts of service are just your thing... Or maybe you carry everyone's bag as a facade to impress someone in your friend group," I say with a playful tone, injecting a bit of humor to alleviate any unintended seriousness.

His jaw nearly drops in surprise, but he laughs off my psychoanalysis. The others ahead cast curious glances toward us. "Wow, making assumptions just because I'm carrying their things? Impressive. Let me guess... You like murder mysteries and get satisfaction from cracking a code?" he replies playfully.

I shrug nonchalantly. "I feel like I give off that vibe. It's pretty obvious that I'm a nerd who likes to keep her eyes on a book, specifically a murder mystery," I say, grinning. There's an attempt to be playful, subtly inviting him to guess and analyze the layers of my personality that may not be immediately obvious.

"Nah," he counters, a twinkle in his eye. "You look like the main character of a fantasy book." It almost got me, a little bit. I mean I know I am pretty but since I'm reserved and not the social type, people do not compliment me on my face that often.

The trail continues, weaving through the lush scenery, and our banter becomes a backdrop to the natural beauty surrounding us. The rhythmic crunch of leaves beneath our feet, the distant murmur of waves, and the camaraderie among this circle of friends create a symphony of moments on this hike toward the beach.

As we continue our hike through Bora La Costa, I can't help but marvel at the richness of nature that surrounds us. Despite my higher social status, the allure of these natural wonders far surpasses the glitz of skyscrapers visible outside our duplex. Mother Nature's treasures, manifested in the vibrant hues of the landscape and the rhythmic sounds of nature, create a haven that transcends societal hierarchies.

I find myself contemplating a call to Theo, an unexpected urge to express gratitude for dragging me into this adventure. However, my thoughts are interrupted as Jennie pulls him towards the captivating rock formations. Unconsciously, I bite my lower lip, caught in the trance of their familiar camaraderie.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Ethan's cologne, an aromatic presence, irritates my nose, causing an involuntary scrunch. His hands are nestled in his pockets, and he sports yellow-tinted Lemtosh Monochrome glasses from Moscot, which kind of reminded me of how Ian always has the same piece with him. An air of mystery surrounds Ethan, making me simultaneously want to avoid him and yet feel strangely comfortable in his presence.

I shift my gaze back to the breathtaking view. "The view's great," I comment on the scenery that captures our attention.

"Your face says otherwise, but you're not looking at the view," he observes, his eyes fixed on the horizon as I regard him with a puzzled expression.