[déjà vu]

⋐⋑⋐⋑⋐⋑❉⋐⋑⋐⋑⋐⋑

I couldn't bring myself to talk to him about my dreams... Or my last life's memories. I am not sure if everything is just a lucid dream or not but I must be crazy imaginative about everything that it feels real... Like the feelings are real. Everything feels so tangible as if the emotions are genuine and not just figments of my imagination.

Seated beneath the familiar Balete tree, engrossed in my usual readings, Theo persists in his typical, bothersome demeanor. He's been pestering me all day, sensing the unease caused by the dreams that I can't share with him. He can't stand being left curious. 

However, amidst the annoyance, I can't help but notice Theo's singing. Having abandoned his questioning, he now serenades the air with a voice that possesses a unique fusion of smooth and deep tones, wrapping around me like a musical embrace. His voice is akin to a warm hug, and it momentarily distracts me from the perplexities of my thoughts.

So I'll tell you
A million tiny things that
You have never known
It all gets tangled up inside

"What are you singing?" I inquire, watching his curls bounce as he glances up at me. The top of his head leaning towards my thighs has been his favorite position lately whenever he joins me under the Balete tree. I have used to him being clingy since I noticed that he is clingy with everyone.

A smile graces his face as he busies himself with fallen leaves. "You like it? I made it up just now," he claims. 

My right brow arched, I'm not sure if I believe him but I am not curious enough to ask further. His tendency to daydream and concoct stories is something I've grown accustomed to, finding it fascinating most times but not always taking it seriously.

"Theo!" Both of us turned our heads towards Jennie who was running towards us. 

At that moment, another vision overwhelms my senses. Geneva, with her elegant demeanor clad in Barong and Saya clothing, her black hair billowing as she races towards us. Theo donned his Barong Tagalog, moved towards her, and they embraced. It's a different memory, yet I find myself still seated beneath the Balete tree, wrestling with the dichotomy of reality and past life. I pinch myself just to double check but I am still in the same place but in a different memory. 

Jennie's presence brings me back to the present. She attempts to coax Theo, who seems determined to be lazy, into standing up. "You used to love to help my brother fly his kites! He needs you. Are you really gonna bail on him? You know I do not know shit about that," she exclaims, the cacophony of her voice mingling with the natural silence of the surroundings. 

"Just go Theo, a kid needs you," I gave my two cents since they are, well Jennie is, shouting like she is having a duet with the chirping of the birds while everything is nature silent.

Theo finally relents, giving in to Jennie's persistence. "Fine, fine! I'll help fly the kites, but only because it's you, little missy," he says, ruffling Jennie's hair affectionately. I couldn't help but look away and just pretend that I was back to my reading.

Jennie grins triumphantly and releases him, allowing him to stand up. "You're the best, Theo! Come on, we need to hurry before the wind dies down and disappoints Joe," she urges, already leading the way toward the open field where they plan to fly kites.

As they leave, I'm left alone under the Balete tree with my thoughts, trying to make sense of the glimpses into another life. Theo's earlier singing still echoes in my mind, and I can't shake off the feeling that there's more to these dreams than mere imagination. His voice captures something in me like I have heard his voice all of my life... It made me comfortable and made me feel safe. Like I knew his voice at the back of my hand.

It's impossible! Elena and Ramuel are not in love. It was just Elena who loved him. How can Elena feel all of those feelings when all Ramuel did was hurt her? Did Ramuel show her his feelings for more than friends?

Lost in contemplation, I'm startled when Theo suddenly reappears, now holding a colorful kite in his hand. "You sure you don't want to join, Lily? It's gonna be fun!" he calls out, excitement evident in his eyes.

I shake my head, offering a small smile. "Maybe next time, Theo. I need some time alone."

He nods understandingly and runs off to catch up with Jennie. As I watch them disappear into the distance, my mind continues to wander. The words of his improvised song linger in the air, and I can't help but wonder if there's a connection between the dreams, the memories, and the melodies he weaves.

The sun begins its descent, casting a warm golden hue over the landscape. I decide to take a stroll, hoping that the peaceful surroundings will bring some clarity. As I wander through the familiar paths, the memories replay in my mind like scenes from a movie.

Lost in thought, I'm interrupted by Theo's voice again. He's returning, now with a triumphant smile, the kite soaring high above him. "You missed out, Lily! It's incredible up there!"

I laugh, genuinely enjoying the happiness on his face. "Maybe next time, Theo. But I'm glad you had fun."

He plops down next to me, looking up at the sky. "You know, sometimes it's good to let go and enjoy the moment. You're here now with us. I hope you open your heart to others too like how you gave me a chance to be your friend. I'm sure they would love you if you give them a chance."

His words linger in the air as the sun dips below the horizon, casting long shadows. The mysteries of my dreams, the echoes of a past life, and the melodies of Theo's singing intertwine, leaving me with more questions than answers.