𝟏𝟏

21 | 222 |DAYVON DAQUAN BENNETT

21 | 222 |
DAYVON DAQUAN BENNETT.
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS.
[ WINTER 2021 ]

JANUARY 2021 and Dayvon found himself sitting in church with Devyne and Angie. Slouching in his seat out of pure boredom he let out a low sigh, pulling the chrome hearts fitted cap over his eyes as he contemplated a good nap. He flickered his eyes over to the podium where the pastor was preaching his good word. Dayvon draped his arm over the back of the Pew trying to pay attention.

"... AND YOU KNOW WHAT THE LORD SAID?" The pastor heaved wiping the dripping sweat away from his forehead.

"What he say Pastah'?!" Angie threw her hands up tears streaming down her cheeks. "Come on na!"

"HE SAID, I HAVE HEARD YOUR PRAYER AND SEEN YOUR TEARS! MHM, I WILL HEAL YOU!" He said before humming into the microphone, the loud organ and drums pouring in as he shouted across the stage. Dayvon watched lips parted as an elderly woman fainted a few pews away from them, the ushers hurrying to her side fanning her ridiculously hard.

"Bae," Dayvon leaned in whispering to Devyne, "she good? She drunk?"

Devyne looked up from her bible stifling a laugh as she continued highlighting the scripture, "no, she just caught the Holy Ghost."

"Damn, she come to this bitch every Sunday she ain't used to it?" He mumbled back before sucking his teeth, Devyne landing a light tap to his arm.

"You're not supposed to be cursing in the lords house, Dayvon."

Dayvon kissed his teeth, "foe, god know how we rockin', it's all love. He gang fa real." He assured her watching the scene flare out. It was reminiscent of a Tyler Perry play.

"AND HE REPLIED, HEAL ME LORD AND I WILL BE HEALED! SAVE ME AND ILL BE SAVED! FOR YOU ARE THE ONE I PRAISE!"

Dayvon tapped Devyne resting his chin on her shoulder.

"Who said allat bae?" He said following up with the Pastors quote.

"Jeremiah, baby," she muttered using her highlighter once again.

"You talm' bout the one who sing birthday sex?" He furrowed his brows.

"Baby, that's Jeremih," Devyne suppressed a laugh, "and Jeremih not even in the Bible—have you ever been to church, love?"

"Yea," Dayvon nodded, "when I was like foe' or sumn, I'm hungry bae, gimme one of them peppa'mints outta granny purse ah sumn." He complained. Devyne sucked her teeth, digging in her granny's bag who was too busy shouting to even care, she gave him a handful of the soft peppermints to which he happily accepted.