Chapter 2 ~ Trolls

I wake up to a soft hand on my shoulder, “Delilah, It’s time.” I groan, stand up half asleep, and gather my things before looking out one of the round windows. I sigh in exhaustion when I notice the sun has barely come over the rolling hills of the shire, the sky starting to turn pink.

Once I’m packed, I follow a few of the dwarves to a group of ponies, and I approach a black and white one, “Suliad Mellon,” I whisper to it. And it whinnies softly, and I silence it and stroke its mane.

“I’ll never get used to that.” I hear the footsteps of Dwalin approach and chuckle.

“I don’t doubt it. Do you think the hobbit will join us? Kili and I have wagers going.”

“What is the wager?”

“10 coins.” Dwalin nods

“I'll take that bet.” I laugh and saddle the pony.

“Alright, lads. Finish packing; it’s time to hit the road.” Balin says, and I climb onto the pony.

We finally reach the woods just outside the waking shire when Fili and Kili ride up beside me.

“Get your coin purse prepared, elfling. You’re about to lose the bet.” Fili says with a grin, and I frown playfully.

“Who you calling elfling, dwarf? I’m 150 years older than you.” Fili chuckles and falls back, leaving Kili to my left.

“You know. You will lose this bet; you might as well pay up now.” I laugh.

“You shouldn’t doubt the Hobbit. He’ll show up, you’ll see.” as if on cue, we all hear a voice behind us.

“Wait, Wait!”

“Halt!” Thorin commands, and Bilbo comes sprinting through the trees, panting.

“I’ve signed it!” he hands the contract to Balin. 

Balin gives Bilbo a knowing look before taking out his monocle, looking closely at Bilbo's signature on the page. In contrast, the Hobbit looks at the pony Balin rides nervously.

“Welcome, master Baggins, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield.” I smile warmly down at the Hobbit, who grins proudly.

“Get him a Pony!” Thorin yells to no one in particular before making his pony continue.

“No, no, no, no. That… won’t be necessary. Thank you. I’m sure I can keep up on foot.” Bilbo rants as he tries to convince us to let him walk across the world instead of riding a pony. “Yeah, I…I’ve done my fair share of walking holidays, you know? Even got as far as Frog Morton once,” He yells in surprise when Fili and Kili swiftly lift him by the arms and place him on a brown pony.

“Common, Nori. Pay up.” one of the dwarves yell, and I laugh and look back at Fili and Kili and impatiently raise my eyebrows, making them smile and roll their eyes. They toss me two bags of coins, and I pocket them before one falls in my lap from Dwalin. Bags of coins continue to be thrown this way and that.

“What's that about?” Bilbo asks, and I look at him with a slight smirk.

“We took wagers on whether you would show up or not; most of the Dwarves bet you wouldn’t” Bilbo smiles as he eyes the three bags of coin I caught before observing Gandalf.

“And what did Gandalf think?” he asks me, and we both look at him as he catches a bag for himself.

“Gandalf never doubted you for a second.” 

As we continue down our path, I notice Bilbo's uncomfortable and tense position on his pony.

“You know, if you don’t relax, you'll be sore tomorrow,” I tell him, and he looks up at me.