Chapter 3 ~ Rivendell

Bilbo and I come into a clearing surrounded by trees, and the rest of the company is huddled together.

“Stay together, hurry, arm yourselves,” Gandalf calls as he prepares his sword and staff for confrontation.

Suddenly rabbits burst through the trees, and a man in brown on a sleigh follows after,” Thieves, fire, murder!” he screams before landing in front of us, coming to a stop.

“Radagast!” Gandalf exclaims. “It’s Radagast the Brown.”

Gandalf squints at Radagast, “What are you doing here?”

“I was looking for you, Gandalf. Something’s wrong. Something’s terribly wrong.”

Radagast holds up his finger and opens his mouth but frowns as he seems to forget what he wants to say.

“Yes?” We all watch the wizards in confusion; Radagast seems troubled.

“Just give me a moment… Oh! I had the thought, and now I’ve lost it!”

“Well, take your time…It’s not like we’re in any hurry.” I grumble.

“It’s right there! On the tip of my tongue!” Radagast sticks his tongue out, and I cringe in disgust as Gandalf reaches out and grabs a bug from the brown wizard's mouth.

“Oh, it’s not a thought at all!” Gandalf drops it into Radagasts palm, “it’s a silly old stick insect!”

The wizards walk farther away from us, out of earshot, to continue their conversation.

“How’s your hand?” Thorin asks as he stands beside me, and I shrug.

“It’s broken, brother. It hurts, but what can we do?” I sigh, Thorin nods, and we stand silent before he speaks again.

“I noticed the way you look at the hobbit.” I look at him, frowning.

“What of it?” he lacks emotion on his face.

“It is not smart to fall for a mortal, Delilah. Not when he will age, and you will not.”

“You forget Thorin; I have not chosen whether to take a mortal life or an immortal.”

“You don’t know how this quest will end, and he could die.” He presses further.

“So could I, Thorin. So could you. What is your point?” Thorin clenches his jaw

“I think you need to consider the importance of this quest before seeking a partner.” He leaves my side, and I let out a harsh breath in frustration.

“Why is Thorin brooding?” Bilbo asks as he takes Thorin’s place by my side, and I look down at him.

“Nothing you need to worry about, my dear hobbit,” I say affectionately, and Bilbo blushes and nods.

A howl sounds through the air.

“Was that a wolf? Are there wolves?” Bilbo asks me seriously.

“Wolves, no, that was not a wolf,” Bofur says worriedly, and suddenly, a warg jumps down from above, attacking one of the dwarfs, and Thorin jumps in and kills it with his sword, my arm pulling Bilbo away safely.

“Warg scout means an Orc pack is not far behind.”

“Orc pack?” Bilbo exclaims, and I rest my hand on his shoulder, a small attempt to calm his nerves.

Gandalf quickly walks over to Thorin, “Who did you tell about your quest, beyond your kin?” he yells in panic.
“No one!” Thorin yells.

“Who did you tell?”