𝐃𝐚𝐝 ?

I had woken up, not to a call from Truman but from an assistant shoving me awake

I had woken up, not to a call from Truman but from an assistant shoving me awake. Not like I expected a call or anything, considering what went down last night. But I was slightly disappointed, I enjoyed his daily calls. Anyway, I got out of bed and walked over to my dressing room. After that I got into my car and drove to a place where I do absolutely nothing all day! Just what I've been hoping for! Note the sarcasm.

I pulled up to the parking lot next to Truman's car and saw Truman at the magazine stand, like always. I hesitated but decided to go and apologize to him. It's better to do it sooner rather than later I suppose. Once I had gotten close enough to hear Errol's and Truman's conversation.

"Hey Truman! Can we talk?" I shouted over the busy street "I think I'll pass" He responded harshly as he tried to slide past me.

"No Truman, listen to me. I'm really sorry about what I said last night. But you should have let me think about it first. I can't just get up and leave everyone behind!" I said logically. Maybe he will understand now.

"It's fine. It was a stupid idea anyway, I shouldn't have asked you." He said quietly while avoiding eye contact.

"No Truman it wasn't a stupid idea. And I'm glad you asked me because I would love to go with you, I really would. But I just don't think that we are... Ready." "Meryl thinks it's a stupid idea at least. She thinks we should try for a baby." He slightly scoffed as his eyes finally met mine.

When he said Meryl wanted to try for a baby my heart almost dropped. I honestly have no idea why it kind of hurts to hear that from him. I mean after all they are a married couple. They should have children. It's their decision of course. But I pushed that aside.

"Why do you care what Meryl says anyway, it's your decision after all."

"Maddie, we're married for God's sake. I can't just leave her-" I cut him off. "Okay, okay I'm sorry. You're right." I said full of regret. I didn't mean to set him off like that. We were silent for a second. "Uh, we should probably head to work now." He said in a whisper. I hadn't realized we were still near the magazine stand "Oh shoot, you're probably right. I didn't even notice!" I slightly laughed

"Alright let's go shall we?" He held out his hand, with a playful smile plastered on his face. "We shall!" I grabbed his hand with a wide smile on my face as we walked hand in hand to work. On our way, from the corner of my eye I saw a homeless man. But it wasn't just any homeless man, It was Truman's.. Dad! Well it wasn't him him. But it was him... Dressed as a homeless man? I obviously knew he wasn't actually dead. But I didn't think they'd let him on set again.

Truman stopped in his tracks to look at the man. I guess he caught his eye as well. Truman let go of my hand as he walked closer to the man. I trailed behind him as he walked closer and closer to him.

"Dad?" He basically asked the mysterious man. In the corner of my eye, I saw some extras speed walk towards Truman's dad. I knew that was a sign to pull Truman away from his father but I didn't have it in me. The extras reached his father and pulled him away. Truman stood there for a second in shock.

"Hey, what are you doing?" He shouted at the people. A group of people running came our way as Truman grabbed my hand quickly. He pushed through the group of people.

"Hey! What the... Get out of the way!" Truman managed to spit out while shoving through the group. Truman then started to run towards his dad. Let me remind you, he was still holding my hand and I was nowhere near ready to run in heels but we all have to make sacrifices here and there right? Even if I can't properly walk after this.

So we both ran after his father. Then Truman ran into someone holding newspapers? I'm not exactly sure but I just kept running. Then he ran into someone riding a bike? My God he really wanted to see his father. I mean anyone would have. I can't blame him, Truman thought this man was dead after all.

Truman and I almost reached his father but the bus doors closed right as his dad hopped on. Truman was banging on the door ordering them to open it while I was kind of trailing behind him, signaling to the people on the bus to signal to me what the hell was going on. I saw a couple of people on the bus shrug at me as they continued to do whatever they were doing before. Eventually Truman couldn't keep up with the bus and got caught between a car and a biker.

I slowly closed the distance between me and Truman and came face to face with him. "Truman! What the Hell just happened?" I exclaimed out of breath. "I- I don't know. That man, he was, he was my father." He told me as he sounded quite shaken up about it. "Is that even like.. Possible? Are you completely sure he didn't die that night?" I asked quite bluntly.

"After that no, no I'm not completely sure.."

"Truman! That's absolutely insane. How is that even possible?" I said all too quickly. I knew the answer to all of this. But I can't say anything can I? I guess I'm labeled as a great actress for a reason.. "You don't believe me do you?" He questioned me with a sad smile on his face.

"No... No, it's not that I don't believe you I just don't understand. Why wouldn't he come back to you if he wasn't dead?" I looked down as I asked that. I felt extremely bad for him. He just experienced something he will never forget. He deserved to know the answer, but he can't know quite yet.

"I'm not sure either Madeline.." He looked up at me with a sad emotion in his eyes. "Maybe we should call in sick for work today. Say we gave each other the flu or something." I slightly smiled at him as I grabbed his shoulder and rubbed it softly.

"Yeah. Yeah maybe you're right." He slightly smiled back. "C'mon, let's get to our cars'' I laughed quietly as I grabbed his hand and pulled it in the direction of the parking lot. You couldn't see the lot from where we were but I knew where I was supposed to be going.

We started walking hand in hand back to the lot. "You have a pretty laugh, you know that?" He said honestly laced in his voice "You have to be on something to think that my laugh is pretty" I chuckled. What was he on about? "No really. I really enjoy your laugh." He stopped to look at me.

"Truman, what are you even talking about? My laugh sounds like a ninety year-old man that smokes 3 packs of cigarettes daily." I looked at him with a smile that almost looked confused. I mean, I was confused. This was extremely random. Considering the fact that not even 15 minutes ago, he saw his father for the first time in a long time.

"Well your laugh is just unique that's all I was saying." He smiled at me. That smile of his always gave me intense butterflies. I've always loved his smile. It was extremely contagious. "You need some serious help." I said in a playful tone as I lightly shook my head at him.

"Ah, you love me anyway." He responded in the same tone. I smiled at him. "Let's go home, c'mon." I led him in the direction of the parking lot

This man was going to be the death of me

Word Count : 1369