vi. best of friends

C H A P T E R   S I X

"Okay, how do we start?" Viktor asked, eyeing the ever-growing Kugelblitz before them.

"Have you ever moved a nest of bees?" Sloane replied.

"No, because that's weird."

"You can't just pick it up." Sloane explained. "You have to keep the nest calm while you build a box around it, and then you trap it." Christopher added a few remarks, and Sloane nodded in response, starting to use her power on it.

Fei stared intensely at it. "One of those black holes inside is vibrating at a different rate."

Viktor nodded. "I can feel them."

"Good. Whatever happens, don't let them speed up or change, or everything will blow."

"Don't shake the bees. Got it." Viktor started to use his power in a similar way to trap the Kugelblitz.

"Lila, when you're ready, do exactly like Viktor." Fei instructed. A second later, a blue goal emitted from Lila, and she was copying Viktor's actions.

"Hey, what's she doing?" Luther whispered to Ben.

"Using its own gravity to condense it."

"That's pretty cool, huh?" Luther smiled, but it quickly disappeared when Ben turned around, unamused.

Grace trailed down the stairs. "You didn't tell me you were building a prison for God."

"Mom?" Diego called out.

"You have no right to do that." She said threateningly as Diego walked over to her.

"We're a little busy here, Grace." Luther waved her off.

Grace, however, started chanting. "The day of vengeance was in my heart. . ."

"What are you talking about?" Diego asked. Luther left Ben's side to go to Grace.

". . . and my year of redemption hath come." Grace finished, holding up a flamethrower.

"Shit!" Celeste screamed as the rest ducked for cover.

Grace continued in a more robotic voice. "The day of vengeance was in my heart, and my year of redemption hath come."

"Hey, Mom, Mom, Mom!" Diego walked away from his hiding place. "It's Diego. Don't make us hurt you."

She scowled, and aimed the flamethrower at him anyway. "The day of vengeance was in my heart and my year of redemption hath come!"

"Okay, shit. I can do this." Celeste chided herself. She glanced back at them from where she was crouched, willing Grace to blow up, but nothing happened. Celeste sighed, and instead the flamethrower in Grace's hands exploded, throwing the robot back powerfully against the wall. A loud squeak of metal was heard, then Grace was silent.

Five walked up to Grace, checking if she really was down. He tilted his head. "Nothing personal."

Diego sighed, putting his hand on Celeste's shoulder. "Thanks for not blowing her up."