vii. best of enemies

C H A P T E R S E V E N

Hotel Obsidian was exactly how Celeste left it the better part in pieces. The group all sat silently, recovering from the shock caused by the Kugelblitz and stared outside at their reality. Distant explosions could be heard, and no amount of hotel music could drown it out.

Allison was leaning against a column, her arms crossed. "So, how is it that we're still here, but the whole of the universe is going down the cosmic shitter?"

"Maybe we're the last to get flushed." Viktor suggested.

Allison pointed her finger at him. "Wasn't talking to you."

"Hey, has anyone seen Klaus?" Luther asked beside Sloane.

"Or Dad?" Sloane added.

Diego looked down. "They'll be here."

"Really?" Ben spread his arms out sarcastically. "Did they. . . hit traffic? Look, people, we're alive because we're special, right? We're the only ones who can save the universe."

Allison raised her hand. "Uh, question."

"Yes."

"Didn't we just try that and fail miserably?"

Diego nodded, walking to the centre of the room. "Yeah, it's because his plan was stupid. I got a better one."

"'Course you do." Ben muttered.

"We go with the large hard-on particle accelerator. You guys do some science, and. . ." Diego clicked his tongue, making a hitting motion with his hand. "We launch the Kugelblitz into outer space. Didn't think I knew that, did you? It's in Switzerland."

"It's 'hadron,' not 'hard-on,' you moron!"

Just in time, Celeste returned with a box of consisting of Sola Raspberry and Lemon, which she nicked from the kitchens below.

"Oi! At least he's trying, you shitty little squid." Lila spat, taking a raspberry bottle from the box. "What have you contributed?"

"Actually," Diego paused, looking at the iced tea. "He did blow up half his family."

"Low blow." Celeste mumbled.

"Oh, you wanna talk about family problems?" Ben challenged. "You know what should have blown up is your face on that neck!"

"I wish I had a cake to hit you with it in your face!" Diego retorted.

"What are you talking about?" Ben threatened in Korean.

Diego replied hastily in Spanish. "You better cut that out. . ."

"Shut up!" Ben yelled, still using Korean. At this point, their fight had gotten so utterly ridiculous that the others just watched, some looking as if they were about to laugh.

"Hey!" Five called out, causing the two to stop and look at him. "You guys done? The universe is disappearing outside. So you can keep rearranging the deck chairs of the Titanic if it makes you feel better. But the fact remains that we are too late." Diego and Ben scoffed in unison. Before walking away, Ben took Diego's Sola Lemon out of his hands, just to spite him.