Rain Whispers and Summer Thunders

summary

Hoyoung realizes a few things during a heavy July rain.

One of them is that stars always keep the moon company, even if you can't see them behind the clouds.

Oh and also that vibes are a thing. Apparently. 

***

trigger warnings:

none

***
word count:

3,853

Rain is pattering against his window

Rain is pattering against his window. It's this kind of weather where Hoyoung looks up from his desk full of work and lets out a long-winded sigh at the grey clouds looming over the streets because he's been looking at a screen for too long. It's this kind of weather where he aimlessly spins the pen in his hand and everything starts to feel small, hazy and meaningless, thoughts start to blur together and his breathing slows down as if he was falling asleep but he doesn't. It's this kind of weather where the hole in his soul fills up with tears from the sky and turns it heavy, too heavy to carry on his own, too cold for any blanket to warm.

Hoyoung traces the line of a drop of water running down on the other side with his finger. He allows himself to sigh once again and leans his head against the glass. It's a mid July afternoon. Summer rain has been paying them a visit every other day since earlier this month and even though he prefers to stay inside regardless of the outside world, he wishes for the clouds to leave him alone. The greyer the days become, the more his senses fog up as well, as if he would somehow absorb the bad weather into his body — it sounded like a witches' curse when he first told the others and it still does now. But what can he do if his mood instantly switches the second the clouds turn dark? They may make fun of him all they want, but nobody can stop him from diving under the closest dry safety of a roof when he feels an icy drop on his skin. And judging by the way Dongheon usually follows him soon after, swift and silent like an anxious cat, he isn't as alone in his misery as they make him out to be.

Even though most of the time, Dongheon is just sour about his new clothes getting ruined. Or pretends to be. Hoyoung doesn't care much as long as there is at least one person in their group sharing his disdain.

Right now though, he is safe in his small apartment. But it's lonely as well. A hint of a shiver runs over his shoulder. There are days on which he feels alone and then there are days on which he is lonely. He doesn't mind the former; the main reason he wanted to move out of his parents' home so bad was because he finally wanted some space on his own. He used to share one floor with a handful of sisters and was never truly alone unless he locked himself into his room and hid all the spare keys in his drawer. Which his mom wasn't exactly fond of.