Chapter 5: Illusionary Avenger

Kirito then suddenly spotted a figure running away.

"Watch Schmitt!" he shouted as he jumped out of the window.

"Kirito!" Asuna and Yuuki called out.

Kirito didn't stop. He ran and ran and ran, but the figure was faster than he thought. He had to stop him. He threw a few spikes, then suddenly, the figure took out a teleport crystal and with a flash of light, they vanished. Kirito ran back and picked up the dagger that killed Yolko, it looked like Guilty Thorn, but if it was a dagger. He went back into the building and was greeted by a sword in front of his face.

"Nice to see you too." he said calmly.

"Idiot." breathed Asuna, removing her weapon, she turned to see Yuuki's upset face, she turned back to Kirito, "So, what'd you get?"

But before Kirito could reply, Schmitt was freaking out.

"Th-that was...Griselda's robe!" he stammered, "What the heck is going on here?!"

"Someone is taking advantage of whatever kind of glitch is happening here." said Kirito, he walked to the lancer, "Schmitt, if the killer's after you next, then I-"

"No...I appreciate it, but no, my guild HQ will be safer."

"Then at least let us escort you." said Asuna.

"Again, I appreciate it, but I'm going there DIRECTLY."

Asuna finally agreed and at least friended Schmitt, who now left.

Later at Night...

Kirito, Yuuki, and Asuna sat next to each other on a bench, next to a fountain.

"Could it really be Griselda's spirit?" said Asuna, "After everything that happened, it's really-"

"No, I don't think so." said Kirito.

"What makes you so sure?"

"Recap, Rule 1, you die in game, you die IRL. Plus, if every person who was killed came back to kill players that slaughtered them..."

Kirito's voice wavered off.

"Something wrong?" Yuuki asked.

"No, nothing." said Kirito.

Asuna then took out a wrapped item and handed it to Kirito.  

"Food." Asuna said.

"Ah...um..." said Kirito, blushing slightly, "...thank you?"

"Eat, quick, durability almost down to 0."

"Wait," said Yuuki, "what about me?"

"Oh, sorry, guess I forgot that you existed."

Kirito bit into the sandwich as the two began to argue, it was like a cheeseburger to him.

"When did you get this?" he asked.

"I made it this morning."

Kirito looked at Asuna, seemingly dumbfounded.

"What?" asked Asuna.

"Great job fighting stereotypes, Lord Vice Commander." said Kirito.

The commander got up abruptly, making Kirito drop his food, shattering it. Asuna looked at his defeated figure.

"Are you crying?" asked Yuuki.

"Shh!" hushed Kirito, "That's it! I knew it!"

"What's 'it'?" asked Asuna.

"Of course! Yuuki, Asuna, I knew that the game doesn't allow kills in a safezone! It wasn't the players dying, it was their items being destroyed!"

"How do you know?"