Damian Wayne 05

an// ANGST ANGST ANGST!! do not read if you do not want your heart ripped out. but for those who still wanna read, there's a brief ending under the actual ending where everything is happy; just skip from the timestamp 00:00:00:03 to the black dashes a few spaces after the sad ending. THIS IS NOT PART 2 OF THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER!!!

disclaimers: damian wayne x fem!reader; this entire thing is facing death with no escape (jason's death 2.0); religious overtones (begging a god for life); blatant references to the christian god, damian repeating that he would end his own life for the readers' throughout the story

words: 2738

00:24:58:03

Damian's eye twitched as he watched the clock slowly tick down, wishing it still read 03:00:00:00.

Three days were achievable for an escape. Maybe, if he had worked a little faster or had been a little smarter, then she wouldn't be sleeping on his lap with dried tears down her face. Maybe, if he had been a little bit more aware of his surroundings or had hidden another knife on his person, then she wouldn't be trapped in a room with anything to do but wait for death. Maybe, just maybe, if he hadn't disobeyed his father, then he wouldn't have to whisper to himself to let her sleep for five more minutes. Please, god, five more minutes. Let me see her in peace one last time. You can damn me for eternity as long as she gets out of here alive. I'll bleed myself dry and then carry her to safety like the cross on your back if you let her go.

Damian Wayne didn't cry. He couldn't. He wouldn't. He needed to be there for her. Convince her that Batman and Nightwing and Oracle and Black Bat were only five minutes away and that we get to see the sunrise over the Parisian horizon as she had always wanted. Convince her so well that even Damian, clumps of his own hair in his hands, would believe the lie and that I swear I heard them knocking outside.

Dami, it's concrete and we're sealed in behind a steel door.

It's them, I promise you. Please, dear God, let it be them. She can't die here with me. Please don't let her.

Damian rested his arms around her, swearing that he would give her five more minutes.

00:17:34:23

She sat against the wall. Not talking, not moving, barely even breathing. Nothing more than her hand in Damian's and her eyes on the red numbers that illuminated the room along with the fluorescents.

Five more minutes he had given her, and five more minutes she took. Minutes turned into hours and it was only when Damian yelled at himself did he wake her.

Please, let her rest.  If she wakes up we'll knock her out so she won't have to deal with the grief; her last thoughts being of how we kissed her and stroked her hair until our arms went numb.

We can't just sit here! We are dying. We've been selfish all of our life, don't stop now. We don't get to be the good guy in our last hours. Man up and have our girl by our side as we kick the can.

Damian could do nothing more but look at the pieces of discarded Robin uniform scattered around the room, his cape acting as a blanket for him and his beloved in the damp room.

Everything is down, idiot! We've checked every corner of this room for a hidden camera or a crack big enough in the foundation that we could hit enough to make a hole big enough for her to escape in time. We are done, Damian. It ends here.