The End of it All. [AU]

I love this AU, although I don't really appreciate MD. If there's some facts in here that are off, I've only watched MD through once, so yk.

Enjoy anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------

So there he was, conscious of the gun, staring into the abyss. What a journey.

Jack had always wondered about how it would end, or even if it ever WOULD end. He still didn't know whether he wanted this or not.

And what was he looking for in the abyss? Despite the fact that he couldn't see him, he knew that Ianto was stood on the other side of the world, staring back at him; Rex and Gwen armed and ready to shoot them both.

"So this is it."

Ianto's voice came through on his earpiece. Suddenly, it all felt so real.

"We're doing the right thing, Ianto."
"...For once..."

Jack wasn't even entirely sure if this WAS right. It didn't feel right to let Ianto go through with this, but his words would never stop him and there was no way he could reach him from here.

"...Jack?"
"Yeah?"
"Thanks for everything. It was good, yeah?"

His throat tightened, this was never going to be easy, but he'd be damned if he was going to watch the Earth break apart with the burden of immortality. At least this way, he and Ianto would both get to go out together. It was the way it was supposed to be.

That was when they shot Esther. Just a moment of chaos that Gwen sealed shut. He didn't want to lose her, either. Everything they'd been through, and he was making her lose both of them. She still held her head high, the gun never even wavered. Strong. Jack still admired her for that.

"Ianto, are you sure about this?"
"I'm sure. Us three: saving the world again. Just like old times."

Despite being sure, Ianto was certainly on the verge of breaking down. Jack was too. Even though he was terrified, there was something accepting inside of him. It wasn't just abyss. It was his whole life- he could see it now. Everything he'd done, everywhere he'd been; maybe it WAS time.

It was strangely peaceful- maybe even comforting, knowing that he was accompanied by two of his favourite people at the end of it all. He smiled.

"I love you, Ianto. Always will."

That was it. That was all he wanted to say. If there was ever going to be a string of perfect last words for Captain Jack Harkness, it was those 6 words.

"I love you too.."

There.
He could die now.

Every other voice from that moment on was more of a blur, Jack simply focused on the abyss ahead of him; it was terrifying but it was time. Then he was bleeding. Bleeding out into the void, life tearing out of him; his blood travelling to meet in the center of the Earth- to Ianto's.

In those few last thoughts, he found their deaths strangely poetic. Joined at the end of it all. The way it should be.

Then it all went black.