Chapter 20

Diana made her way through the lobby of the large apartment building and crossed the marbled floor to the elevator that would bring her up to the penthouse. She climbed into the lift and pressed the button looking down at her mobile device as the cart hummed to life and began climbing the floors to her destination. It was far past midnight and she was hoping that the two love birds would be worn out enough so that she could get a decent sleep. Lena had promised that L-Corp was almost done with her noise canceling headphones and soon she wouldn’t have to find herself sitting on a park bench in the middle of national city park most nights. A smile formed on her lips as she leaned her weight back against the mirrored wall crossing her arms over her chest. She couldn’t help but feel... relieved. Her Lena was happy, with a smart and head strong mate, they truly were meant for each other. For years she had worries that Lena would sink further and further into herself and become this shell of a person that was not her Lena.

Her daughter was happy, and her soul content in the presence of one that evened her out. Her mind drifted to Lillian, and their love and her heart constricted in her chest, a mixture of sadness and of joy all mashed into one hell of a confusing emotion. She tilted her head back against the elevator wall and trailed her eyes towards the ceiling.

“Our daughter is happy Lillian. And she is kind. I know I did not do my best as a mother, but I hope you are proud of us... of her.” Diana closed her eyes for a moment willing the tears that had welled in her eyes to roll away. Soon the elevator jumped to a stop and the doors opened to her floor, the elder opened her eyes and strode from the lift making her way down the long narrow hallway.

The raven-haired warrior fumbled around in her satchel until she finally located her keys and opened the door.

“Mama Diana is home now so whatever shenanigans you are doing please keep it down to a non-forever scarring your mother level.” Diana snorted to herself amused by her own joke. She placed her satchel down on the hallway bench before walking towards the living room. It was weirdly quiet, aside from a few sniffles coming from the direction of the living room. A frown creased Diana’s brow as she picked up her pace and strode into the room finding Kara curled in on herself on the couch.

“Kara, darling what are you doing? Where is Lena?” 

Kara had her arms wrapped tightly around her legs, her knees pressed firmly to her chest and she was staring off into space with clear tear stained tracks running down her cheeks. Diana crossed the room in three strides and was at Kara’s side in an instant, her arm wrapped around the younger girls shoulder tightly. Her blonde hair was matted, with twigs and leaves sticking out from the mop, her bare feet and legs covered in mud. Diana tilted Kara’s face toward her own, blue meeting blue for a long moment.

“Kara, where is Lena?” Diana asked her voice dripping with worry.

The blonde’s face broke and fresh tears came pouring down her cheeks as she stiffly unwrapped her arms from her legs and all but fell into Diana’s arms fisting her hands in the elders shirt. She buried her face against the Diana’s stomach as she cried, sobs shaking through her whole body.

Dark thoughts came to Diana’s mind, had something happened? Did Alura escape to exact her revenge on Lena? She needed answers before her mind ran wild with possible scenarios that had her daughter in danger.

“Kara, dear, I need you to breathe and I need you to tell me where Lena is.” Diana was beginning to panic.

Kara pulled her head from the cover of Diana’s stomach rubbing her reddened eyes, the sobs barely controlled as she looked down at her bruised palms.

“S-she… we had a fight and she- She just flew off! Everything was going so w-well! And I just wanted to understand! Her scars- I” Kara was cut off as another sob bubbled from her lips, her face falling into her hands as her body shook.